Prioritizing one app's net access over another

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Net
In summary: The problem is Spotify is stuttering. The "classic" solution to this is buffering. Does Spotify have a buffering setting? If so, try doubling it and seeing if it is better.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to tell my network to prioritize my browser above my VPN?
I'm tunneling into my corp's webclient. Every time it wants to do something, it overrides my spotify in my local (untunneled) browser - resulting in my music stuttering constantly).

I'm using 'Global Protect' to tunnel into vdi.[mycorp]/portal/webclient/...

Though it might solve the problem, I am loathe to open Spotify inside my vpn.

Suggestions?

#FirstWorldProblems

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is this your own device (i.e. do you have administrator privileges) or work's?

pbuk said:
Is this your own device (i.e. do you have administrator privileges) or work's?
My personal lappie.

It just occurred to me that I'm using the browser for both applications, just different tabs. One tab is Spotify, the other tab is the webclient.

I'm not sure of that means I need to prioritize one browser tab's pipeline over the other.Total network throughput seems not to be an issue. 170Mb/s down, 130Mb/s up.

It could be the laptop running out of one resource or another, or it could be the network switch (do you own that too?) Can you do anything to narrow the bottleneck down?

Vanadium 50 said:
It could be the laptop running out of one resource or another, or it could be the network switch (do you own that too?) Can you do anything to narrow the bottleneck down?

1. If I don't fiddle with the webclient for a bit, the stuttering peters out. If I Disconnect from 'Global Protect' it stops stuttering completely.

2. I watched my performance tabs in Task Manager. During the smallest activity within the webclient (such as moving a window around), network access hits 100% immediately, and stays there until it drops back near zero.

Aaaand of course, now that I say that, it makes me a liar by not doing it.

1614624309095.png

Last edited:
There is likely some sort of heartbeat signal to help the VPN decide if you're still there. I had this happen with Youtube audio not working through MS remote desktop for some browsers.

However, it appears that this is a known problem that Spotify doesn't work with a VPN. Some suggest it's because of copyright issues in different regions of the world.

https://windowsreport.com/fix-vpn-wont-work-spotify/

https://community.spotify.com/t5/De...through-a-US-gt-US/m-p/5016688/highlight/true

Ease your aggravation, use your phone as a music source :-)

jedishrfu said:
There is likely some sort of heartbeat signal to help the VPN decide if you're still there. I had this happen with Youtube audio not working through MS remote desktop for some browsers.

However, it appears that this is a known problem that Spotify doesn't work with a VPN. Some suggest it's because of copyright issues in different regions of the world.
Yeah but I'm not running Spotify through the VPM; I'm running it locally.

But the troubleshooting list pointed me in a useful direction though: installing the Spotify app instead of the website. And that I can allow through my Firewall.
jedishrfu said:
Ease your aggravation, use your phone as a music source :-)
I'd burn through my data in a week.

Your router might be able to prioritize Spotify via its QOS settings, provided a) the router supports it and b) the router let's you into the menu. (If its owned by your ISP, it may not)

Likes jim mcnamara
DaveC426913 said:
But the troubleshooting list pointed me in a useful direction though: installing the Spotify app instead of the website. And that I can allow through my Firewall.
That was going to be my next suggestion (having determined that this is your device so you can do that).

If that doesn't solve it then yes, you can do this in your router's Quality of Service (QoS) configuration but it is not trivial.

If that is not possible/desirable then you can't change the priorities in Windows directly, but there are third party applications that can do this such as NetLimiter.

A quick Google (now that I know what terms to use) shows how I can give Spotify priority access in Task Manager (Details tab > Rgt-click Spotify > Set Priority).

I have to give it "real time" access (the highest) and it's still not perfect, but it'll do.

Thanks all.

DaveC426913 said:
A quick Google (now that I know what terms to use) shows how I can give Spotify priority access in Task Manager (Details tab > Rgt-click Spotify > Set Priority).
That just gives it CPU priority which is not much help if the VPN is hogging all the network bandwidth, as you have found.

Likes Vanadium 50
Let's take a step back. The problem isn't CPU priority or network priority or any of that. The problem is Spotify is stuttering.

The "classic" solution to this is buffering. Does Spotify have a buffering setting? If so, try doubling it and seeing if it is better.

Before adjusting CPU and network settings, is it the CPU? Is it the network? Task Manager/Performance can help you understand where the bottleneck is. For example, I can copy files to my file server at 170 MB/s or so, and from the server at 330 MB/s or so. In neither case is the network or CPU the bottleneck. (Writing is at the speed of the disk array, and reading is at the speed of the SSD cache)

If it's the network, we will need to better understand where in the network, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

pbuk said:
That just gives it CPU priority which is not much help if the VPN is hogging all the network bandwidth, as you have found.
Ah. Right. I'm no longer on the 'Network' tab. Oops.

Vanadium 50 said:
The "classic" solution to this is buffering. Does Spotify have a buffering setting? If so, try doubling it and seeing if it is better.
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle - it does.

OK, I will experiment with this tomorrow.

Everything's behaving perfectly as of this moment - no stuttering - perhaps because my wife isn't streaming her news right now.

DaveC426913 said:
perhaps because my wife isn't streaming her news right now.

You mean you're competing with your wife for bandwidth? Bad idea.

Related to Prioritizing one app's net access over another

1. How can I prioritize one app's net access over another?

There are a few ways to prioritize one app's net access over another. One option is to use Quality of Service (QoS) settings on your router to allocate more bandwidth to the desired app. Another option is to use a traffic-shaping tool, which allows you to set bandwidth limits for specific apps or devices.

2. Why would I want to prioritize one app's net access over another?

Prioritizing one app's net access over another can be useful in situations where you have limited bandwidth and want to ensure that certain apps or devices have a consistent and reliable connection. This can be particularly helpful for apps that require a lot of bandwidth, such as video streaming or online gaming.

3. Can I prioritize specific types of traffic within an app?

Yes, some QoS and traffic-shaping tools allow you to prioritize specific types of traffic within an app. For example, you may want to prioritize video streaming over file downloads within a streaming app. This can help improve the overall performance of the app.

4. Are there any downsides to prioritizing one app's net access over another?

While prioritizing one app's net access can be beneficial in certain situations, it can also potentially cause issues if not configured properly. For example, if you allocate too much bandwidth to one app, it may cause other apps or devices to have a slower connection. Additionally, if you prioritize one app over others, it may lead to unequal distribution of bandwidth, which can be frustrating for users.

5. Is there a way to automatically prioritize certain apps over others?

Yes, there are some tools that allow you to set up automatic prioritization for certain apps. For example, you may be able to set up rules that prioritize streaming apps during certain times of day when you know you will be using them. However, it's important to regularly review and adjust these settings to ensure they are still meeting your needs and not causing any issues for other apps or devices.