Priniciple of Minimum Energy vs. Maxwell equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on coupled magneto-mechanical problems, specifically in regards to a deformable ferromagnetic bar in a uniform magnetic field. The paper uses energy minimization to find the magnetic field and deformation, but the speaker is trying to solve the problem using Maxwell's equation. They have derived an equation for the magneto-static case and refer to it as Ampere's law for stressed bodies, but their professor disagrees with its validity. The speaker asks if anyone else has seen a similar equation.
Hassan2
Dear all,

I'm studying a paper on coupled magneto-mechanical problems.

Suppose we have a "deformable" ferromagnetic bar placed in an initially uniform magnetic field. Both ends of the bar are clamped. The bar has magnetostriction property, so it may expand or contract depending on the the magnitude of the flux density.

In the paper, in order to find the magnetic field numerically, it takes the approach of energy minimization and here the energy is the sum of magnetic and mechanical energies. Both magnetic field and deformation is obtained this way.

I'm trying to solve the problem using Maxwell equation ( ∇×(B/μ)=0) rather than energy minimization, but it seems the Maxwell equation does not take into account the change in mechanical energy due to the induced magnetization even though the permeability may depend on the mechanical stress.

I wonder if the Maxwell equation incomplete when it comes to deformable media? This would be disappointing to me.

I would really appreciate if you helped me overcome the problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have derived the following equation for magneto static case and I call it Amper's law for stressed bodies:

[itex]\nabla \times H = J_{f}-\sigma_{ij}\frac{\partial \epsilon_{ij}}{\partial A}[/itex]

[itex]\sigma [/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] are the elastic stress and strain respectively and Einstein's summation notation has been used. [itex]A[/itex] is magnetic vector potential.

My professor became angry at me for saying this because he can't believe that Ampere's low is invalid for stressed deformable bodies. He can't disprove it and he doesn't want to see my proof either.

I am not 100% sure of the equation but the derivation is straight forward and It makes sense too. I wonder if any of you has seen such an equation ?

Thanks

1. What is the Principle of Minimum Energy?

The Principle of Minimum Energy, also known as the Principle of Least Action, is a fundamental principle in physics that states that a physical system will always follow the path that minimizes the total energy of the system. This principle is used in various fields of physics, such as classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, to understand the behavior of physical systems.

2. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. These equations were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to understanding electromagnetism. They describe how electric and magnetic fields are generated by charges and currents, and how these fields interact with each other.

3. How do the Principle of Minimum Energy and Maxwell's equations relate?

The Principle of Minimum Energy and Maxwell's equations are both fundamental principles in physics, but they describe different aspects of physical systems. The Principle of Minimum Energy is a general principle that applies to all physical systems, while Maxwell's equations specifically describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. However, both principles are used together to understand the behavior of electromagnetic systems, such as light and radio waves.

4. Can the Principle of Minimum Energy and Maxwell's equations be used to solve practical problems?

Yes, both the Principle of Minimum Energy and Maxwell's equations are used extensively in practical applications. The Principle of Minimum Energy is often used in engineering to optimize designs and minimize energy consumption. Maxwell's equations are used in a wide range of technologies, such as telecommunications, electronics, and power generation.

5. Are the Principle of Minimum Energy and Maxwell's equations still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, the Principle of Minimum Energy and Maxwell's equations are still highly relevant in modern physics. While they were developed in the 19th century, they are still used as the basis for many theories and models in physics today. In fact, Maxwell's equations have been extended and generalized to explain phenomena such as relativity and quantum mechanics.