Principles of Statistical Mechanics by Tolman

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of a book available at the speaker's university library for learning statistical mechanics. The book, written by Tolman, is considered a reliable source since classical statistical mechanics was well established at the time of its publication. However, it may not cover more recent developments such as quantum statistical mechanics. The speaker suggests comparing the book to more modern accounts for a comprehensive understanding.
Cruz Martinez
I have access to this book at my uni's library. I'm considering to learn from it as my main source.
Is it severely outdated?
How good is it for learning statistical mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've only read bits of it so I don't know the book well. However, it is probably ok since classical statistical mechanics was well established by then, and Tolman is a famous name. Maybe quantum statistical mechanics might not be covered so well, since the density matrix was only introduced around 1927.

You can check it against modern accounts like the notes by Cross http://www.pmaweb.caltech.edu/~mcc/Ph127/index.html and Kardar http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...chanics-of-particles-fall-2013/lecture-notes/.

Last edited:
Thanks, atyy, I will check out the notes too.

Related to Principles of Statistical Mechanics by Tolman

1. What is the main focus of "Principles of Statistical Mechanics" by Tolman?

The main focus of "Principles of Statistical Mechanics" by Tolman is to provide a comprehensive understanding of statistical mechanics and its application in studying the behavior of macroscopic systems. It covers topics such as thermodynamics, kinetic theory, and quantum statistics.

2. How does Tolman's approach to statistical mechanics differ from other textbooks?

Tolman's approach to statistical mechanics differs from other textbooks in that it emphasizes the fundamental principles and concepts, rather than focusing on mathematical derivations. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of the subject and its relevance to real-world systems.

3. What is the significance of statistical mechanics in the field of physics?

Statistical mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of macroscopic systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It provides a bridge between the microscopic world of atoms and molecules, and the macroscopic world that we can observe and measure.

4. Can "Principles of Statistical Mechanics" be applied to other scientific fields?

Yes, the principles of statistical mechanics can be applied to various scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior and properties of complex systems, and can be used to make predictions and analyze data.

5. Is "Principles of Statistical Mechanics" suitable for beginners in the field?

While "Principles of Statistical Mechanics" may be challenging for complete beginners, it is a highly regarded textbook in the field and can be a valuable resource for students with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It presents the material in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible for those with a strong foundation in the subject.