Principal Stress, Mohrs Circle

In summary: The first equation applies to all possible load states, while the second assumes a more simplified loading.
sweetness2
So I understand how to use Mohrs circle and the transformation equations to find principal stresses and stresses for a given plane, but what is the point? Is there a purpose to knowing this other than finding stresses for a given direction, the stress invariants or that shear does not occur on the principal directions? How are these things used in the real world / design?

Don't people usually use average stress when designing? I guess I just don't see a practical application.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sweetness2, welcome to PF. In metals, failure occurs due to shear. That doesn't mean a rod under normal axial load, for example, won't ever fail; it means that it will fail along a plane 45° from the load axis, because this is the angle of maximum shear. The transformation equations (and their graphical equivalent, Mohr's circle) can be used to analyze this and more complicated loading configurations.

People absolutely do not rely on average stress when designing. They need to know the location and magnitude of the maximum characteristic failure stress for that material (in metals, the von Mises stress).

Thank you for your answer Mapes. A follow up question: I have seen von Mises stress represented several ways,

1) vonMises = sqrt (((S1 - S2)^2 + (S2 - S3)^2 + (S1-S3)^2)/2)

where S# represents principal stresses (found from mohr's circle or transformation equations)

2) vonMises = sqrt (Sx^2 + 3*Txy^2)

where Sx is normal stress and Txy is shear stress.

Are these two equations identical or is one an approximation of true von Mises criteria? I suspect my answer would be solved by substituting expressions from Mohr's circle into the first equation...but I would also would like confirmation.

They're both exact, but the first equation applies to all possible load states, while the second assumes a more simplified loading. Can you tell which stresses have been assumed to be zero?

Related to Principal Stress, Mohrs Circle

1. What is the concept of principal stress?

The concept of principal stress is a fundamental principle in mechanics and materials science that explains how stress is distributed in a material. It states that when a force is applied to a material, it will experience three principal stresses, which are the maximum, minimum, and intermediate stresses. These stresses act on planes that are perpendicular to each other, providing a complete description of the state of stress in a material.

2. How is Mohr's circle used to analyze principal stress?

Mohr's circle is a graphical method used to analyze principal stress. It is a representation of the stress state of a material in a two-dimensional plane, with the vertical axis representing normal stress and the horizontal axis representing shear stress. By plotting the principal stresses on this circle, the orientation and magnitude of the principal stresses can be determined and used to analyze the material's behavior.

3. What is the significance of principal stress in material failure?

The principal stress is crucial in understanding the failure behavior of a material. When the maximum principal stress exceeds the material's strength, it can lead to failure, such as cracking or fracture. Additionally, the direction of the principal stress can also affect the failure mode of a material, as certain materials are more susceptible to failure under tension or compression.

4. Can Mohr's circle be used for all types of stress analysis?

Mohr's circle is primarily used for plane stress analysis, where the stress state is two-dimensional. It can also be used for plane strain analysis, where the material is constrained in one direction. However, it is not suitable for analyzing three-dimensional stress states, where more complex methods such as finite element analysis may be required.

5. How does the concept of principal stress relate to the design of structures?

The concept of principal stress is crucial in the design of structures, as it helps engineers determine the maximum stresses that a structure may experience and design it accordingly to ensure it can withstand these stresses. It also allows for the identification of critical areas in a structure where the principal stresses may be highest, allowing for targeted reinforcement or modifications to prevent failure.