Principal stress at surface of thin walled pipe

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem that they did not learn in class. They have found the σx and σy values and are now trying to find the τxy value.
musicmar

Homework Statement

See attached jpg for problem statement and diagram.

I know we didn't discuss this type of problem in class. The rest of this homework set has been solving stress transformations with Mohr's circles for a given state of stress. I know how to find τxy (that was supposed to be "tau"). So, once I find σx and σy, I know what to do with Mohr's circle to find the principal stress.

If someone could point me in the right direction for how to find σx and σy, that would be great.

Thank you!
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
This is due in about 12 hours.***Just remembered that my professor told us to ignore the internal pressure. So, to find sigma x and sigma y, I only use the 200 lb axial force?

Attachments

• IMG00166-20111101-2220.jpg
    IMG00166-20111101-2220.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you set up an axis system and drawn a free-body diagram of the problem yet?
Do you know how to determine the axial stress?
Do you know how to determine the stress in the pipe wall due to internal pressure?

1. Yes, I have.
2. I believe so:
A = ∏(0.5)2-∏(0.5-0.025)^2 = 0.0766 in2
σax=P/A = 200 lb/ (0.0766 in2)
= 2611.77 psi
3. just remembered that we were told to ignore the internal pressure

Is my axial stress correct? And how do I get σ1,2 from here?

Your calculation of A is incorrect. Re-read the description of the pipe carefully.

Oops. I read it as the outer diameter. Now I get A = 0.0805 in^2 and σ = 2484.37 psi.

Sorry, A is still incorrect. You should review how to calculate the area of a circle.

Wow. Maybe I should try doing homework when I am actually awake. diameter...radius
So, A = 0.0131 in^2, and σ= 15238.1 psi.

Sorry, you are just not calculating the correct A. you have forgotten to multiply by pi.

Well, I think I've got it now, and in any event, I've now turned in the assignment.

Related to Principal stress at surface of thin walled pipe

1. What is the principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe?

The principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe refers to the maximum normal stress that acts in a specific direction on the surface of the pipe. It is often represented as σ1 and is an important parameter in analyzing the strength and stability of the pipe.

2. How is the principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe calculated?

The principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe can be calculated using the formula σ1 = (P*D)/(2*t), where P is the internal pressure, D is the diameter of the pipe, and t is the thickness of the pipe wall. This formula assumes that the pipe is under internal pressure only and is made of a homogeneous material.

3. What is the significance of the principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe?

The principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe is important in determining the structural integrity of the pipe. It helps engineers and scientists understand how much stress the pipe can withstand before it fails. This information is crucial in designing and constructing safe and reliable pipelines.

4. How does the principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe affect its behavior?

The principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe influences its behavior in terms of strength, deformation, and failure. If the stress exceeds the yield strength of the material, the pipe may experience plastic deformation or even rupture. Understanding the principal stress helps predict and prevent potential failures in the pipe.

5. What factors can affect the principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe?

The principal stress at the surface of a thin-walled pipe can be affected by several factors, including internal pressure, pipe diameter, pipe thickness, material properties, and boundary conditions. Changes in any of these factors can alter the magnitude and direction of the principal stress, thus impacting the performance and stability of the pipe.