Principal curvature used in a contact problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical problem involving the contact between two surfaces and the concept of principal curvatures. The individual is seeking help in understanding how to determine the principal curvatures and their corresponding planes. The conversation also touches on the role of the angle phi in this problem.
MechEng2010
Hi,

I am trying to understand a theoretical problem involving the contact between two surfaces. I have uploaded a screen shot of the mathematical formulations of the solution.

I understand most of the solution, except the principal curvatures. I have tried to look up principal curvature, but still not sure how is applied to this problem.

I would really appreciate any help for the mathematicians out there.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47274064/Prin_curve_1.JPG

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Curvature is the reciprocal of the radius. Is that what is confusing you?

Mandlebra said:
Curvature is the reciprocal of the radius. Is that what is confusing you?

Thanks Mandlebra, that much I understood.

I am just trying to understand how and why R1, R2, the planes of R1, R2 and the angle [itex]\Phi[/itex] come into this. I guess my questions are more specifically:

1) How do you determine what R1 and R2 are?
2) How do you determine the plane of R1 and R2?

Would really appreciate some advice or explanation on this.

Thanks.

Not sure if this helps...
Take the normal N to the surface at point P. Now take any plane containing the normal. The intersection of the plane with the surface produces a line with some curvature at P. As you rotate the plane about N, the curvature reaches a minimum and a maximum, possibly of opposite sign. These are the principal curvatures. The planes containing them will be orthogonal. I believe the curvature in any intermediate plane through N can be computed from the principal curvatures and the angle this plane makes to the planes of principal curvature, but I don't the formula.

Forgot to mention phi. The other body will have the same tangent plane at P and thus the same normal. But the planes through it which give the min and max curvature for that body will not in general be the same. Phi is the angle between the two bodies' max curvature planes (and thus also the angle between their min curvature planes).

Related to Principal curvature used in a contact problem

1. What is the concept of principal curvature in a contact problem?

The principal curvature in a contact problem refers to the maximum and minimum curvatures of a surface at a given point. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to describe the shape and behavior of surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How is principal curvature used in a contact problem?

In a contact problem, the principal curvature is used to determine the direction and magnitude of the contact forces between two surfaces. It is also used to analyze the stability and behavior of a surface in contact with another surface.

3. What is the difference between principal curvature and mean curvature?

While principal curvature refers to the maximum and minimum curvatures of a surface at a given point, mean curvature refers to the average curvature of a surface at a given point. In other words, principal curvature describes the local curvature of a surface, while mean curvature describes the global curvature.

4. How does the principal curvature affect the contact behavior between two surfaces?

The principal curvature affects the contact behavior between two surfaces by determining the direction and magnitude of the contact forces. A surface with high principal curvature will experience higher contact forces compared to a surface with low principal curvature.

5. Can principal curvature be negative?

Yes, principal curvature can be negative. Negative principal curvature indicates that the surface is bending inwards, while positive principal curvature indicates that the surface is bending outwards. Both positive and negative principal curvature can exist at different points on a surface.