Principal axis of rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the rotation axis of a body that is moving from point A to point B in 3D space. The person is familiar with Rodriguez' rotation formula but is unsure how to incorporate translation components. The solution is to decompose the displacement into a translation and rotation, with the center of mass as the reference point. The conversation also mentions the concept of the Instantaneous Centre of Revolution and the challenges of finding it for complex motions. It is suggested that adding constraints can make the problem easier to solve.
Daniel Thuresson
I have a body in 3D-space and I would like to calculate the rotation axis when the body moves from A to B. I know the location (x, y and z) and the orientation (rx, ry and rz (axis angles)) at both A and B. The difference between A and B is small. The time instant during a dynamics simulation. However, if the small difference is a problem I can make it bigger (within the linear range of this specific simulation).

I have read about Rodriguez' rotation formula and know how to find the axis of rotation, but how can I incorporate the translation components as well? Any help is appreciated!

/Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Every displacement can be decomposed into a translation plus a rotation. For specificity, consider the center of mass of the body for a reference point. In the initial location, the CM has a particular position. In the second location, the CM has a second particular location. The translation from the first to the second is the required translation. Then the change in orientation is simply a rotation about the CM.

Likes Daniel Thuresson
Dr.D said:
Every displacement can be decomposed into a translation plus a rotation. For specificity, consider the center of mass of the body for a reference point. In the initial location, the CM has a particular position. In the second location, the CM has a second particular location. The translation from the first to the second is the required translation. Then the change in orientation is simply a rotation about the CM.

Hi,
I understand this, but the movement could also be described by a single rotation around some axis in space. I am wondering how I can compute this axis?

Rgds /Daniel

Daniel Thuresson said:
the movement could also be described by a single rotation around some axis in space

um,... I don't think so. Suppose the movement is nothing more than a simple translation with no rotation at all?

Dr.D said:
um,... I don't think so. Suppose the movement is nothing more than a simple translation with no rotation at all?

Would'nt translation correspond to a rotation around an axis at infinite distance? Anyway, I know that is not the case for me. The movement will be a combination of translation and rotation.

If rotation about an axis at an infinite distance means anything, then I suppose you could interpret it this way. In reality, I don't think it means anything at all, because we cannot realize it.

Likes FactChecker
Daniel Thuresson said:
Would'nt translation correspond to a rotation around an axis at infinite distance? Anyway, I know that is not the case for me. The movement will be a combination of translation and rotation.
Conceptually a rotation around an axis at an infinite distance may mean something, but I don't think you want to go in that direction -- especially if you have to do real calculations.

I think it may be interpreted: as r goes to ∞ the curvature approaches a straight line.
Anyways, this is not my question: Howto find the principal axis of rotation from a combination of rotation and translation?

/Daniel

(1) You are looking at the Instantaneous Centre of Revolution concept but in 3D instead of the 2D where it is more commonly used ?

Finding the ICR for any particular motion is just maths but for non simple motions and continuous motions it usually leads to a dead end as far as practical use and getting accurate answers is concerned .

For complex motions even a small movement of the body can change the location of the ICR by a large amount . In a general motion it can even flip from one side of a body to another or go to infinity and back again .

(2) The above is for an unconstrained motion .

Your actual problem may involve a partially constrained motion . Addition of constraints generally makes this type of problem easier to deal with .

Likes Daniel Thuresson

Related to Principal axis of rotation

1. What is the principal axis of rotation?

The principal axis of rotation is an imaginary line passing through an object or system that remains fixed while the object rotates. It is also known as the axis of rotation or the axis of symmetry.

2. How is the principal axis of rotation determined?

The principal axis of rotation is determined by the distribution of mass in an object or system and the forces acting upon it. It is typically the axis around which the moment of inertia is the smallest.

3. What is the importance of the principal axis of rotation?

The principal axis of rotation is important in understanding the rotational motion and stability of an object or system. It can also be used to calculate the moment of inertia and angular momentum, which are important concepts in physics.

4. Can an object have more than one principal axis of rotation?

Yes, an object can have multiple principal axes of rotation if it has an irregular mass distribution or if it is subject to multiple external forces. However, there is always at least one axis that is the most dominant.

5. How does the principal axis of rotation affect the motion of an object?

The principal axis of rotation determines the direction and magnitude of the object's angular velocity and angular momentum. Objects tend to rotate around their principal axis, and any external forces acting upon them will cause changes in their rotational motion.