Primodial power spectrum of scalar perturbations

In summary, the equation for the primordial power spectrum of scalar modes \mathcal{R}_k originating in the Bunch-Davies vacuum at the onset of inflation is given by P_{\mathcal{R}}(k)=\frac{4\pi}{\epsilon(\eta_k)}\bigg( \frac{H(\eta_k)}{2\pi} \bigg)^2, where \epsilon is the slow-roll parameter, H is the Hubble parameter, and \eta_k is the time when the mode \mathcal{R}_k exited the horizon. This result is obtained by solving the mode equation of inflaton fluctuations in the limit of slow roll evolution, and is an important factor in understanding
thecommexokid
For scalar modes [itex]\mathcal{R}_k[/itex] originating in the Bunch-Davies vacuum at the onset of inflation, I have the following equation for their primordial power spectrum:
[tex]P_{\mathcal{R}}(k)=\frac{4\pi}{\epsilon(\eta_k)}\bigg( \frac{H(\eta_k)}{2\pi} \bigg)^2,[/tex]
where:
  • c = G = ħ = 1,
  • k is the comoving wavenumber of the mode,
  • ε is the slow-roll parameter,
  • H is the Hubble parameter, and
  • ηk is the (conformal) time when the mode [itex]\mathcal{R}_k[/itex] exited the horizon.

In my notes, I have this equation labeled as "Well-known result:", but now I am struggling to even find a source for it. Can anyone offer any assistance in finding a reference for this? My goal is to have some understanding of its derivation.

Space news on Phys.org
Pardon my curiosity, but, this formula appears to ignore tensor modes. Would these not be important?

thecommexokid said:
For scalar modes [itex]\mathcal{R}_k[/itex] originating in the Bunch-Davies vacuum at the onset of inflation, I have the following equation for their primordial power spectrum:
[tex]P_{\mathcal{R}}(k)=\frac{4\pi}{\epsilon(\eta_k)}\bigg( \frac{H(\eta_k)}{2\pi} \bigg)^2,[/tex]
where:
  • c = G = ħ = 1,
  • k is the comoving wavenumber of the mode,
  • ε is the slow-roll parameter,
  • H is the Hubble parameter, and
  • ηk is the (conformal) time when the mode [itex]\mathcal{R}_k[/itex] exited the horizon.

In my notes, I have this equation labeled as "Well-known result:", but now I am struggling to even find a source for it. Can anyone offer any assistance in finding a reference for this? My goal is to have some understanding of its derivation.
This result is obtained by solving the mode equation of inflaton fluctuations in the limit of slow roll evolution. After relating the inflaton fluctuation to the curvature perturbation (an association that depends explicitly on a choice of gauge), the power spectrum of the curvature perturbations can be readily obtained. A good review that is available free online is that by Liddle and Lyth: http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9303019.pdf.

I am happy to help with questions on the particulars of the calculation.

Chronos: this formula is the amplitude of the scalar perturbations only. Indeed, tensors are important and need to be included when calculating temperature and polarization anisotropies.

Likes 1 person

Related to Primodial power spectrum of scalar perturbations

1. What is the primordial power spectrum of scalar perturbations?

The primordial power spectrum of scalar perturbations refers to the distribution of energy density fluctuations in the early universe, which are thought to have given rise to the structures we see today. These fluctuations are believed to be the result of quantum fluctuations during the inflationary period of the universe.

2. What is the significance of the primordial power spectrum?

The primordial power spectrum is significant because it provides a crucial link between theoretical models of the early universe and observational data. By studying the shape and amplitude of the power spectrum, scientists can make predictions about the structure and evolution of the universe, and compare these predictions to observations to test different cosmological theories.

3. How is the primordial power spectrum measured?

The primordial power spectrum is typically measured using data from the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This is the oldest light in the universe, which was emitted about 380,000 years after the Big Bang. By analyzing the patterns and fluctuations in the CMB, scientists can extract information about the primordial power spectrum.

4. What are scalar perturbations?

Scalar perturbations are one of the three types of perturbations that can occur in the early universe. They are fluctuations in the energy density of the universe, as opposed to vector or tensor perturbations, which involve fluctuations in the spatial components of the universe. Scalar perturbations are thought to be responsible for the formation of large-scale structures like galaxies and galaxy clusters.

5. What does the shape of the primordial power spectrum tell us about the universe?

The shape of the primordial power spectrum can provide valuable insights into the physical processes that occurred during the early stages of the universe. For example, the tilt or slope of the power spectrum can indicate the rate of expansion of the universe during inflation, while the presence of oscillations can suggest the existence of additional particles or fields beyond the standard model of cosmology. Additionally, the overall amplitude of the power spectrum can provide information about the total energy density of the universe and the amount of dark matter present.