Primitive variables in Fluid Mechanics

In summary: It's just that momentum and energy are more convenient to work with in many cases. Lastly, you are correct in that velocity and pressure are the primitive variables.
hanson
Hello!
I know that the primitive variables in fluid mechanics are velocity and pressure. But why?
I don't see how "primitive" these variables are...What does it mean by a "primitive variable"? Is that all other variables in a fluid flow can be derived from velocity and pressure? Is there any other set of primitive variable? Lastly, how do you know velocity and pressure are primituve variables?

Engineering news on Phys.org
can anyone kindly address this?

I am not aware of such terminology but they are the main variables. You can manage any fluid flow problem if you know these two things.

quark, thanks! I was afarid that no one is going to help me out. :frown:

Why can we manage all flow problems if we know these 2 things?

hanson said:
Hello!
I know that the primitive variables in fluid mechanics are velocity and pressure. But why?
I don't see how "primitive" these variables are...What does it mean by a "primitive variable"? Is that all other variables in a fluid flow can be derived from velocity and pressure? Is there any other set of primitive variable? Lastly, how do you know velocity and pressure are primituve variables?

Try this ...
When you try to solve a fluid field without energy equation (heat transfer)? Conservation of mass and Conservation of momentum (Derived from Newton's Second law) are sufficient. You will find the main variables are pressure and velocity. With pressure and velocity information you can find the fluid field. BESIDES all the properties.

QUOTE=hanson;752113]Hello!
I don't see how "primitive" these variables are...What does it mean by a "primitive variable"? Is that all other variables in a fluid flow can be derived from velocity and pressure? Is there any other set of primitive variable? Lastly, how do you know velocity and pressure are primituve variables?[/QUOTE][/FONT][/SIZE]

what is primitive variable? i know it is velocity and pressure,but why it is? Is that all other variables in a fluid flow can be derived from velocity and pressure?

It depends on what form the governing equations are written in, and how we interpret them.

Typically, when we write the Navier-Stokes in strongly conservative form, they are in terms of the conserved variables. That is, mass, momentum and energy. However, one doesn't typically think of flows in terms of momentum and energy, we would prefer to use velocity and pressure. So, the primitive variables are mass, velocity and pressure.

You are opposite in thinking that everything can be derived from velocity and pressure. It is in fact that everything can be derived from momentum and energy (with some other variables of course).

Related to Primitive variables in Fluid Mechanics

1. What are primitive variables in fluid mechanics?

Primitive variables in fluid mechanics refer to the physical quantities that are used to describe the state of a fluid at a given point in space and time. These include velocity, pressure, density, and temperature.

2. How are primitive variables related to each other?

Primitive variables in fluid mechanics are related through the fundamental equations of fluid mechanics, such as the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations describe how the velocity, pressure, density, and temperature of a fluid are interdependent and change over time.

3. What is the significance of primitive variables in fluid mechanics?

Primitive variables are important in fluid mechanics because they allow us to accurately model and analyze the behavior of fluids. They provide a direct representation of the physical quantities that affect the flow of a fluid and can help us understand complex phenomena, such as turbulence and vortices.

4. How do we measure primitive variables in fluid mechanics?

Primitive variables in fluid mechanics can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as flow visualization, pressure sensors, and thermometers. These measurements can then be used to validate and improve mathematical models of fluid behavior.

5. Can primitive variables be used to solve any problem in fluid mechanics?

While primitive variables are essential in understanding and solving many fluid mechanics problems, they may not be applicable in all scenarios. For example, in some cases, it may be more useful to work with derived variables, such as vorticity or stream function, to simplify the analysis of a particular flow situation. However, primitive variables remain a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics and are widely used in various applications.