Is the Love of Golf and Infidelity Inherent in Men?

In summary, a conversation took place discussing whether the love of golf is an inherited trait and if it evolved as a response to existential boredom in men. A new study on infidelity in men was also brought up, but it was criticized for lacking a causal mechanism and independent variable. The study found that men have a higher desire for sexual variety, possibly due to ancient hunter-gatherer societies. However, the idea that women do not have a propensity for infidelity was challenged with recent surveys showing high rates of infidelity in both men and women. It was suggested that an "infidelity gene" could exist in both sexes, but may be expressed differently. The conversation concluded that while genetically driven behavior may be morally questionable, it still remains true
DrChinese
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is love of golf an inherited trait? Did it evolve as a response to the existential boredom that men experience, but women do not?

I haven't done a scientific study, but thought I would pass on anecdotal results. Every time I play golf, I notice that the course is about 90% men (that would leave the other 10% as women). Obviously a statistically significant difference, and one which I feel is cross-cultural. For example, even the primitive natives of the tiny Pacific island of Fiji are accomplished world-class golfers (for example, Vijay Singh).

-------------------
So the real point:

A new study Is infidelity natural for men? is another example of bad science. As is common for many studies of human behavior - and the nature/nurture debate especially - this one misses the boat on 2 counts:

a. No hypothetical causal mechanism is identified (i.e. where is the necessary "unfaithful" gene in men, and which cells is it expressed in that are unique to men?)
b. No independent variable is identified (i.e. the results relate to biology, and not other factors which can be learned)

From the article:

"This study provides the largest and most comprehensive test yet conducted on whether the sexes differ in the desire for sexual variety,” wrote lead researcher David P. Schmitt, an evolutionary psychologist at Bradley University in Peoria, Ill. “The results are strong and conclusive — the sexes differ, and these differences appear to be universal."

"It is the first systematic, massive, scientific study of these sex differences,” said David M. Buss, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of Texas in Austin who wrote “The Evolution of Desire.” Calling the Schmitt paper definitive, Buss said, “The evidence he presents is irrefutable."

Schmitt thinks the roots of the differences his study found lie in ancient hunter-gatherer societies. Men who sought sexual variety had a greater chance of passing on their genes — and their promiscuous proclivities. Women who kept their mates improved the chances of raising children and were more likely to pass on their genes — and their monogamous proclivities.

My conclusion: "Men behaving badly" are men behaving badly, no matter how you spin it. We are responsible for our actions. And if "infidelity" is inherited, this study does nothing to demonstrate that it is

It is time to start calling studies like this for what they are. It's bad science if it does nothing to distinguish the desire for men to be unfaithful from the desire to play golf. Or maybe someone will "prove" that in the few hundred years that golf has existed, humanity has evolved around the need for a little white ball.

Biology news on Phys.org
Well I don't disagree with the findings but I do disagree with the idea that women do not have a propensity for sexual infidelity. Recent surveys have bourne that out. From what I recall, 52% of men and 47% of women are unfaithful to their partners. I believe the survey was conducted in America or a selection of Western countries. In terms of reproductive opportunities, it makes sense for both sides to cheat. Men cheat to increase the quantity of off spring they produce and women do so to increase the quality.

From the article:

Women who kept their mates improved the chances of raising children and were more likely to pass on their genes — and their monogamous proclivities.

While this is partly true, there is no good reason that women cannot try to have the best of both worlds. Eg. A loving faithful partner who raises children that are not his own and are genetically superior to those that she would have concieved with him. In another study performed in England, it was discovered that 25% of men were caring for children that were not biologically their own. It was also found that women engaging in adultery were more likely to orgasm thus increasing the chances of fertilisation by her extra-marital lover.

An "infidelity gene", if there is such a thing, should reside in both men and women. However, the gene is likely to be expressed differently in each.

Is this (and the article) an excuse for unfaithfulness? Well you can certainly read it that way. The fact is that there is certain genetically driven behaviour in humans that we might not like. Behaviour that we find morally questionable. Unfortunately for the people who have trouble accepting it that doesn't make it any less true.

In my opinion, the love of golf is not an inherited trait, nor is it a response to existential boredom in men. It is simply a personal preference and interest that some individuals, regardless of gender, may have. The fact that the majority of golfers are men is likely due to societal norms and expectations, rather than any biological or evolutionary factor. Additionally, I do not believe that infidelity is a natural or inherited trait for men. It is a behavior that is learned and influenced by various factors, and individuals are ultimately responsible for their actions. Studies like this one may attempt to explain certain behaviors through evolutionary psychology, but they often lack sufficient evidence and can be misleading. It is important to critically evaluate and question the validity of such studies before drawing any conclusions.

1. Is golf a natural sport for men?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some men may find golf to be a natural sport for them, while others may not. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and abilities.

2. What makes golf a natural sport for men?

Golf is often considered a natural sport for men because it requires physical strength, hand-eye coordination, and strategic thinking, which are traits that are typically associated with masculinity. Additionally, men have historically dominated the sport, which may contribute to the perception of it being a natural sport for them.

3. Are there any natural advantages that men have in golf?

There are some physical advantages that men may have in golf, such as greater upper body strength and longer average height, which can help with driving distance. However, these advantages do not guarantee success in the sport, as technique and skill are also important factors.

4. Can women also excel at golf?

Absolutely! While men may have some physical advantages in golf, women can also excel in the sport with proper training and practice. In fact, there are many talented female golfers who have achieved great success in professional golf.

5. Is golf a sport for all genders?

Yes, golf is a sport that can be enjoyed by people of all genders. While it may have a reputation as a predominantly male sport, there are many women, non-binary individuals, and people of all ages who play and enjoy golf. The most important factor is having a love for the sport and a desire to improve.