Primitive e^z/z Gamma: Finding the Integral

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primitive
In summary: Therefore the whole integral evaluates to $2 \pi i$.In summary, the integral $\int_{\gamma}\frac{e^z}{z}dz$ can be evaluated to $2 \pi i$ by expanding the integrand in a power series and integrating termwise.
Dustinsfl
Gamma is the unit circle oriented counterclockwise.

$\int_{\gamma}\frac{e^z}{z}dz$

Instead of finding the power series to solve the integral, I am trying to do it b use of the primitive.
However, I seem to not be good at finding the primitives. How can I find the primitive for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The primitive/antiderivative is not elementary. But regardless, $\frac{e^{z}}{z}$ is not analytic at $z=0$, so the fundamental theorem of calculus for analytic functions does not apply.

Random Variable said:
The primitive/antiderivative is not elementary. But regardless, $\frac{e^{z}}{z}$ is not analytic at $z=0$, so the fundamental theorem of calculus for analytic functions does not apply.

How can I solve this integral without the use of Cauchy Integral Formula or by a power series?

dwsmith said:
How can I solve this integral without the use of Cauchy Integral Formula or by a power series?

If you know residue theory, you could apply that.

Ackbach said:
If you know residue theory, you could apply that.

If we re-write the integral as,

$$
i\int_0^{2\pi}e^{e^{it}}dt
$$

we would have the above integral. I am not sure if that makes it any easier.

dwsmith said:
If we re-write the integral as,

$$
i\int_0^{2\pi}e^{e^{it}}dt
$$

we would have the above integral. I am not sure if that makes it any easier.

Hmm. Just trying to reproduce that expression. If you let $z=e^{it}$, then $dz=ie^{it}\,dt$, and the integral becomes
$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{e^{e^{it}}}{e^{it}}\,ie^{it}\,dt=i\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{e^{it}}\,dt,$$
as you say. However, that integral has no elementary antiderivative.

I would probably use residues to compute this integral, but, if you aren't to that point in your course yet, you're back to something like the Cauchy Integral Formula, which I know you said you didn't want to use. Is that because you're not allowed to use it, or because you don't want to use it?

Ackbach said:
Hmm. Just trying to reproduce that expression. If you let $z=e^{it}$, then $dz=ie^{it}\,dt$, and the integral becomes
$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{e^{e^{it}}}{e^{it}}\,ie^{it}\,dt=i\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{e^{it}}\,dt,$$
as you say. However, that integral has no elementary antiderivative.

I would probably use residues to compute this integral, but, if you aren't to that point in your course yet, you're back to something like the Cauchy Integral Formula, which I know you said you didn't want to use. Is that because you're not allowed to use it, or because you don't want to use it?

We have learned it but we are supposed to try this without those methods so we will have more appreciation for them.

dwsmith said:
We have learned it but we are supposed to try this without those methods so we will have more appreciation for them.

Well, what methods are you allowed to use? As RV said above, the Fundamental Theorem is inapplicable here. I suppose you could try to fiddle around with other parametrizations, and see if you can dream up one that has an antiderivative. What if you tried something like

$$z=e^{if(t)}\implies dz=i f'(t) e^{if(t)}\,dt.$$
Then you'd get
$$\int_{\gamma}\frac{e^{z}}{z}\,dz=\int_{a}^{b} \frac{ e^{e^{if(t)}}}{e^{if(t)}}\,i f'(t) e^{if(t)}\,dt=\int_{a}^{b} e^{e^{if(t)}}\,i f'(t) \,dt=i\int_{a}^{b} e^{e^{if(t)}}\,f'(t) \,dt.$$
Now, what we would like is for
$$\frac{d}{dt}e^{if(t)}=if'(t),$$
because then we could use the chain rule. Can we solve this DE? Well, we compute the LHS thus:
$$i f'(t)e^{if(t)}=if'(t).$$
If $f'(t)=0$, then we get $f(t)=\text{const}$, which will not produce a valid parametrization. So, if we cancel we get $e^{if(t)}=0$. This equation has no solutions.

Therefore, this kind of parametrization will not yield an integral that will succumb to a substitution.

What about by-parts? With the previous substitution, we arrived at
$$i\int_{a}^{b} e^{e^{if(t)}}\,f'(t) \,dt.$$
By-parts yields
$$i\left[\int_{a}^{b} \underbrace{e^{e^{if(t)}}}_{u}\,\underbrace{f'(t) \,dt}_{dv}\right]=i\left[e^{e^{if(t)}}f(t)\Big|_{a}^{b}-\int_{a}^{b} e^{e^{if(t)}}e^{if(t)}if'(t)\,f(t) \,dt\right].$$
Now let's try again for a substitution. We would like
$$\frac{d}{dt}(e^{if(t)}+if(t))=if'(t)f(t).$$
Performing the indicated differentiation yields
$$e^{if(t)}if'(t)+if'(t)=if'(t)f(t).$$
The option $f'(t)=0$ isn't a good option, again, so we cancel:
$$e^{if(t)}+1=f(t).$$
You can solve for $f(t)$ in terms of the product log function, but the result is a constant again.

Gotta go. Maybe these failed attempts will suggest something to you.

I think I might have done this in a previous post, but I'll do it again.

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{e^{z}}{z} \ dz = i \int_{0}^{2 \pi} e^{e^{it}} \ dt $

$ = \displaystyle i \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left(1 + e^{it} + \frac{e^{2it}}{2!} + \ldots \right) $

$= \displaystyle i \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left(1+ \cos(t) + i \sin(t) + \frac{\cos(2t)}{2!} + i \frac{\sin(2t)}{2!} + \ldots \right)$

Now integrate termwise.

The first integral integral evaluates to $ 2 \pi i$. All other integrals evaluate to zero.

Related to Primitive e^z/z Gamma: Finding the Integral

1. What is the definition of "Primitive e^z/z Gamma"?

"Primitive e^z/z Gamma" refers to a mathematical expression that is used to find the integral of a function. It involves the use of the Euler's Gamma function and the exponential function.

2. Why is "Primitive e^z/z Gamma" important in mathematics?

"Primitive e^z/z Gamma" is important because it allows us to solve integrals that cannot be easily evaluated using traditional methods. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, including complex analysis and number theory.

3. How do you find the integral using "Primitive e^z/z Gamma"?

To find the integral using "Primitive e^z/z Gamma", you first need to express the function in terms of the Euler's Gamma function and the exponential function. Then, you can use various properties and identities of these functions to simplify the expression and find the integral.

4. Can "Primitive e^z/z Gamma" be used for all types of integrals?

No, "Primitive e^z/z Gamma" is primarily used for solving integrals involving the exponential function. It may not be appropriate for all types of integrals, especially those that involve trigonometric functions or polynomials.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks of using "Primitive e^z/z Gamma" for finding integrals?

Yes, one limitation of using "Primitive e^z/z Gamma" is that it can be quite complex and time-consuming to apply. It also requires a good understanding of the properties and identities of the Euler's Gamma function and the exponential function. Additionally, it may not always provide an exact solution and may only give an approximation of the integral.