Prime Implicants of a Non-Coherent Fault Tree

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a non-coherent fault tree analysis and specifically finding the final prime implicant (ED'). The person has been using De Morgan's laws but has not been successful. The summary also includes an explanation of the prime implicants of the boolean function and clarifies that there are no other prime implicants. The person's goal is not clear and it is mentioned that they may be trying to apply De Morgan's laws to find different prime implicants.
surreystudent
I am stuck on some non-coherent fault tree analysis. I have a non-coherent fault tree for which the TOP event breaks down to TOP = AD' + DA' + A'E. These are (I think) some of the prime implicants of the fault tree. There is also another prime implicant ED'. I've been trying to work through it with De Morgan's laws but with no luck getting that final prime implicant (ED'). I've attached an image of the fault tree. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 14.10.14.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 14.10.14.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
So you have a boolean function:

$$TOP(A, D, E) = A \bar D + D \bar A + \bar A E$$

surreystudent said:
These are (I think) some of the prime implicants of the fault tree.

You would be correct. ##A \bar D, D \bar A,## and ##\bar A E## are prime implicants of the ##TOP## function because they are minimal implicants. We cannot expand the terms by removing literals because they would then become non-implicants. It is also worth noting these prime implicants cannot be covered by a more general implicant.

In fact, ##A \bar D, D \bar A,## and ##\bar A E## are the only prime implicants of the function because the function is a sum of minterms already.

What exactly are you trying to do here anyway? Are you trying to apply De-Morgan's laws to find different prime implicants?

Related to Prime Implicants of a Non-Coherent Fault Tree

What is a prime implicant?

A prime implicant is a logical expression that covers all the input combinations that lead to a specific fault in a fault tree. It is the smallest possible combination of basic events that can cause the fault to occur.

Why are prime implicants important in fault tree analysis?

Prime implicants help to identify the most critical combinations of events that can lead to a fault. By identifying these prime implicants, we can focus on eliminating or mitigating these specific combinations of events to improve the overall reliability of a system.

How are prime implicants calculated?

Prime implicants can be calculated using various methods, such as Boolean algebra, Karnaugh maps, or Quine-McCluskey algorithm. These methods involve simplifying the logical expressions of a fault tree to identify the prime implicants.

What is the difference between a prime implicant and a minimal cut set?

A prime implicant is a logical expression that covers all the input combinations that lead to a specific fault, while a minimal cut set is the smallest combination of basic events that can cause the fault to occur. Prime implicants can be calculated from a fault tree, while minimal cut sets are determined through a fault tree analysis.

Can there be multiple prime implicants for a single fault in a fault tree?

Yes, there can be multiple prime implicants for a single fault in a fault tree. This is because there can be multiple combinations of basic events that can cause the same fault to occur. It is important to identify and address all of these prime implicants to improve the reliability of a system.