Share Your Favorite Rock Band/Artist

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, Jimmy P asked for people's favorite rock bands/artists, and some people suggested Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Doors, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and Bush. Jimmy P also mentioned Foo Fighters, Fuel, The Ataris, and Pantera. Some other people also recommended Iron Maiden, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Doors, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and Bush. Jimmy P asked for more recommendations, and people recommended Don't Forget Roadhouse Blues, A Northern Soul by The Verve, and Light My Fire by The Doors. Jimmy P asked for people's opinions on Limp Bizkit, and a lot of people have a negative
jimmy p
Gold Member
Ok i don't want this to end up a royal rumble between people who disagree with each other, cos i know u guys (n gals) are much more civil than that.

Anyway, in an effort to boost my cd collection and my views on newer bands, i would appreciate it very much if u guys could tell me your favourite rock band/artist, it can be from whatever era as long as it is rock...so no punk music!

thanx

p.s i am personally torn between Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses, just to start you off!

Physics news on Phys.org
Beatles

The Smashing Pumpkins

The Doors,
Led Zepplin,
Ozzy Osborn
Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Smiley
The Smashing Pumpkins

Woohoo!

What about Bush.

Pearl Jam

Lake of Tears
Iron Maiden
Manowar
-- ask for more if you like these guys

Hey hey hey, i said favourite, just one! lol. hmm i know a lot of who like the doors but i haven't heard any myself. so that's a mayb. Any song suggestions? Keep on with those posts!

Originally posted by jimmy p
Hey hey hey, i said favourite, just one! lol. hmm i know a lot of who like the doors but i haven't heard any myself. so that's a mayb. Any song suggestions?

Waiting for the sun
The crystal ship
Love me two times
When the music's over
(it's not only one but I couldn't help myself )

GNR all the way.

Hmm. I have a hard time claiming a single band or song as my favorite.

As many know, I have to vote for In Flames.

As for modern rock, well, Disturbed, Godsmack, Deftones, 3rd Strike, Quarashi (kinda rap-rock, but it still rocks), and I'll probably get stoned for this, but I really think Limp Bizkit is trying to make a decent try with there most recent album.

Alot of people like Foo Fighters, Fuel, The Ataris (remade "Boys of summer") uhhh, just to much.

And of course the kings of metal, Pantera.

stone him!

I'll probably get stoned for this, but I really think Limp Bizkit is trying to make a decent try with there most recent album.

Well, if nobody else wants to stone him, I'll be glad to do that now.

jimmy p, if you don't have Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, ignore what everyone else has said and go buy it right now.

If you do have it... I don't know how your tastes are, but probably the most underrated rock album of all time, imo, is Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix. If you like more modern sounding stuff, I highly recommend A Northern Soul by The Verve. It's not traditional straight up rock, and it's a bit on the dark side, but if you ask me no one creates whole atmospheres with the guitar like the Verve guitarist Nick McCabe.

Last edited:
I have Dark Side of the Moon n some hendrix lol. Oh yeah u'll get stoned for limp bizkit, megashawn Tell me more Huybrush, lol this could also help me with that 'what comes next thread' lol

you could go with the bad stuff:
Anathema
Amorphis
My Dying Bride
Tiamat
Cradle of Filth
Dimmu Borgir

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
Waiting for the sun
The crystal ship
Love me two times
When the music's over
(it's not only one but I couldn't help myself )

Don't forget Roadhouse Blues, or Riders on the Storm.. and of course there's Light My Fire but everyone already knew that.

I have Dark Side of the Moon n some hendrix lol.

'Some' Hendrix? You don't have Hendrix if you don't have Electric Ladyland. :wink:

What is with all the hatred towards LB? They pretty much created this entire new trend of music, and now they've even started to get away from it back to a more rock sound.

And aside from the techno spelling of Limp Bizkit in "Behind blue eyes" remake, they did an awesome job. Hell, even Fred picked up and learned the Bass after losing Wes, and I think there newest album is better then ever.

But opinions are like asses, and there is a lot of music to listen too.

I mostly just curious why so many people dislike LB? And even still why so many people dislike them, but there album sales do so good?

PS. About the stoning.

Apparently, you've never ridden much dirt bikes. I'm used to deflecting rocks at 50 mph on a two wheeled machine. Give me yer best shot.

Limp bizkit, just don't appeal to me, the one song that i do like from them is "Behind Blue Eyes" but i am a Big Fan of the Who, and their origional version is a lot better.

decent

I admire how Limp Bizkit's language is so decent. (sarcasm)
Now, back to the stoning.

Fleetwood Mac
Stevie Nix
Eagle Eye Cherry
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lenny Kravitz
Sheryl Crow

to name a few favorites...

I listen to albulms, not just a song. My Favorite Doors albulm is Morrison Hotel. It includes Road House Blues and Maggie Magill, can't recall all the cuts but I like 'em all.

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Nirvana, System of a Down, The White Stripes!, Green Day, Queen, The Doors, Hot Hot Heat, The Ataris, Linkin Park, Sublime, Weezer!, The Blues Brothers, Reel Big Fish, The Suicide Machines, The Get-up Kids, Thursday, Law Biting Citizens, Frank Sinatra, 30 seconds to Mars, Saves the Day, 3 Doors Down, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Blink-182, Coldplay, Drop Kick Murphy's, Hoobastank, Hootie and the Blowfish, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Simple Plan, The Who, The Knack, Soundgarden, Hendrix, Audioslave, The Beatles, Fat Boy Slim, Godsmack, Guns n' Roses, Unwritten Law, Chevelle, Vertical Horizon, Cream, Dave Matthews Band, Eric Clapton, Creed, The Eagles, Evanescence, Disturbed, Eve 6, Marcy Playground, Matchbox 20, Queens of the Stone Age, Puddle of Mudd, Rammstein, Foo Fighters, Sum 41, Sugarcult, The Hives, The Vines, Tool, Tom Petty, Blues Traveler, Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan, Incubus, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, The Ramones, Phish, RHCP, Jimmy Eat World, The Clarks, Creed, Cold, Finch, AFI, The Kinks, The Beach Boys, Deftones, Dido, Taking Back Sunday, The Verve, Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, The Distillers, Murray Head, Fuel, John Lennon, Dashboard Confessional, Everclear, Lynyrd Skynyrd, At the Drive-In, New Found Glory, Saves the Day, CKY, Good Charlotte, Korn, Lou Bega, MXPX, The Offspring, The Byrds, Pennywise, The Sex Pistols, Styx, The All-American Rejects, Live, Brand New, The Living End, Distorted Penguins, Maroon5, Lit, 311, The Pillows, The Clash, Something Corporate, Coheed and Cambira, Less than Jake, Green Day, and Coldplay.

Those aren't in any particular order except for Led Zeppelin being first.

Quite the list you got there Beren. :wink:
I don't know the the names of the bands of a lot of the songs I like, but here's a list just for the heck of it.

Queen is okay
Whoever the guy is who sings The Eye of the Tiger
Alan Parson's Don't Let it Show.

There are many others but I haven't bothered to find the names of the songs or who sings them.

P.S. Remember to check out the General Discussion thread "Just a Buncha Physics Jokes." Make sure you post in there to. It's starting to get lonley telling jokes to myself.

Last edited:
What don't u guys get about this thread lol, please just ONE band...ur favouritestestestest band of them all! lol thanks so far anyway. i have a jimi hendrix greatest hits btw

What don't u guys get about this thread lol, please just ONE band...ur favouritestestestest band of them all! lol thanks so far anyway. i have a jimi hendrix greatest hits btw

Why? I put my favourite in there, and singled it out. I thought I'd just list a few others so that maybe someone would go and check them out.

Originally posted by Beren
I thought I'd just list a few others

you're welcome to list many others any time... :wink:

Whoever the guy is who sings The Eye of the Tiger

UHh, wait a minute here. You want me to be stoned?

hehe surely this is much worse of a sin.

Disturbed!

Definitely my favorite.

I also suggest Paradise Lost, Evanescence and Chevelle (I don't want to go off and name every band I've ever liked (no offense Beren...you did have some pretty good choices in there)) - though Evanescence is "softer" rock than the other two, and Chevelle are...well...not usual - let's just put it that way, eh?

UHh, wait a minute here. You want me to be stoned?

hehe surely this is much worse of a sin.

Maybe I should rephrase what I said.
I know nothing about who sings it, but the SONG itself was okay.:smile:

And the song doesn't include any of Limp Bizkit's favorite four letter words.

Originally posted by megashawn
What is with all the hatred towards LB? They pretty much created this entire new trend of music

I think you just answered your own question. :wink:

Originally posted by hypnagogue
I think you just answered your own question. :wink:

Which is not a good thing
I used to be all in the mtv nu-metal scene until I was introduced to some underground power metal and symphonic metal bands. The musicianship is incredible. You soon realize how shallow the lyrics of mtv bands are and how boring three chord formula style music can be. To each their own, but keep looking for high quality music.

It's tough to pick just one band, especially when you already know most of the great ones. I'd recommend looking for great albums instead. You might know the more popular songs of most bands but for the really great albums, it's true that the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

Since you already have Dark Side of the Moon, I'd again have to recommend Electric Ladyland by Hendrix. You have a best of, but it's missing a lot of songs from that album, most probably the better ones at that. Plus, the totality of the album taken as a unit in itself is better than just about anything you might be thinking of getting (imo of course).

Few other truly great rock albums off the top of my head: Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones, Revolver by the Beatles, Loaded by Velvet Underground.

1. Who is your favorite rock band/artist?

As a scientist, I do not have a personal preference for a specific rock band or artist. However, I can appreciate the talent and impact of many different rock bands and artists.

2. What makes a rock band/artist stand out to you?

There are many factors that can make a rock band or artist stand out, such as unique sound, meaningful lyrics, and captivating performances. Ultimately, it is a combination of these elements that can make a rock band or artist truly exceptional.

3. How do you think rock music has evolved over the years?

Rock music has evolved significantly since its inception in the 1950s. It has incorporated elements from various genres and sub-genres, and has also been influenced by cultural and societal changes. Today, rock music continues to evolve and adapt to new trends and technologies.

4. Can you recommend any up-and-coming rock bands/artists to listen to?

As a scientist, I do not have the expertise to recommend specific rock bands or artists. However, I suggest exploring different music platforms and discovering new artists through recommendations and playlists.

5. What impact do you think rock music has on society?

Rock music has had a significant impact on society throughout history. It has been a platform for social and political commentary, has brought people together through shared experiences, and has influenced fashion, art, and culture. It continues to be a powerful and influential force in society today.