Typical Math Course Sequence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the courses a math major typically takes after completing Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations, including general topology, abstract algebra, real analysis, complex analysis, and mathematical logic. It is suggested to contact the mathematics department at a chosen university for more information on specific courses. The individual also shares their personal experience with self-studying calculus and the benefits of dual enrollment.
beeftrax
I'm a high school senior, and I've taken Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations at the local community college. This semester I'm pursuing an independent study in Linear Algebra (because there's nothing else for me to take at the college). What is a typical course for a math major to take following these courses that I could study independently next semester?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is a guess. You will probably be advised to take solid courses in general topology and abstract algebra. This is considered necessary background for any specialty you might pursue later. Since you have completed MC and DE, real analysis and complex analysis (usually taught separately) might be on your recommended list too. Finally, a course in mathematical logic might be recommended. Past this, the course work would become dependent on your interest.

did you take any calculus courses in high school to go to mc and de? or do you need to? I was thinking about going to my community college to take some classes after senior year even though i shouldve before it. instead i spent the summer with a book i bought studying by myself. i think time at a college would have been more productive.

Here's the order from my university:

Precalculus
Calculus I
Calculus II
Calculus III
Ordinary Differential Equations
Discrete Mathematics
Introduction to Advanced Mathematics
Linear Algebra
The Real Line
Functions of a Real Variable
Calculus and Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Applications of Mathematics

Keep in mind, a lot of the courses above can be taken during the same semester. For example, you can talk Calc I and Discrete Math during the same semester since both have the same prerequisites.

The course sequence differs from school to school somewhat, but for the most part you'll end up taking the same classes to earn your degree. Once you decided on a school and get accepted, you should contact/visit the mathematics department. They can give you all the information you need.

Hope I helped you at least a little.

thanks for the info, cod and quartdeciman!

superman: I studied calculus on my own the summer after my sophomore year. I agree that a regular class is generally better. I mainly did it this way so that I could dual enroll and thus take college level math classes for free.

What is the typical math course sequence?

The typical math course sequence can vary depending on the specific curriculum of a school or program, but generally it includes courses in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. Some programs may also include courses in statistics, probability, and other advanced math topics.

What is the purpose of the typical math course sequence?

The purpose of the typical math course sequence is to provide students with a strong foundation in important mathematical concepts and skills. This sequence is designed to build upon previous knowledge and prepare students for more advanced math courses in the future.

Is the typical math course sequence the same for all students?

No, the typical math course sequence may vary for students depending on their academic level and individual goals. For example, some students may take advanced math courses such as pre-calculus or calculus in high school, while others may take these courses in college.

Are there any alternatives to the typical math course sequence?

Yes, there are alternative math course sequences for students who may not be interested in pursuing advanced math topics. These alternative sequences may focus on practical math skills such as personal finance or statistics, or they may include more hands-on courses like computer programming.

What can I do if I struggle with the typical math course sequence?

If you are struggling with the typical math course sequence, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. You can also look for online resources or join study groups to get extra support. It is important to communicate with your teacher and work on practice problems to improve your understanding of the material.