Rotating Wheel SHM: Piston Distance Calculation

In summary, the question involves a rotating wheel with a radius of 30cm and an angular speed of 12rads-1 causing a piston to execute SHM in a cylinder. The question is asking for the distance of the piston from an end position after 0.10s. Using the formula ω = θ/t, the displacement from equilibrium point is calculated to be 0.1087m. Therefore, the distance from the end position is 0.19m. The person asking for confirmation has received it and the conversation ends with a discussion of study leave and upcoming exams.
shan
I just need someone to tell me if I've done the problem right since the answer is mysteriously missing

The question is about a rotating wheel causing a piston to execute SHM inside a cylinder (the piston being connected to the outside of the wheel). The wheel rotates with an angular speed of 12rads-1 and it has a radius of 30cm.

What will be the distance of the piston from an end position after 0.10s?

ω = θ/t
θ = 12x0.1 = 1.2rad

displacement from equilibrium point = amplitudexCosθ = 0.3xCos1.2 =0.1087m

so distance from end position = 0.3-0.1087 = 0.19m (2sf)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I've read through it and it looks OK to me. Couldn't you just have asked your teacher though?

School's out and I'm on my study leave...

Lucky you, I'm in school until almost Christmas. Then I have exams (with very little study leave) in January.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth between two points along a straight line, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. This motion is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the equation for calculating the period of SHM?

The equation for calculating the period of SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the restoring force.

3. How does amplitude affect the motion in SHM?

The amplitude in SHM determines the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude will result in a larger displacement and a longer period, while a smaller amplitude will result in a smaller displacement and a shorter period.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and periodic motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a specific type of periodic motion, where the motion is repetitive and follows a specific pattern. However, not all periodic motion exhibits SHM, as it also includes motion with varying amplitudes, frequencies, and periods.

5. What are some real-life examples of SHM?

Some common examples of SHM include the motion of a pendulum, a mass on a spring, the vibration of a guitar string, and the motion of a swing. SHM can also be observed in the motion of atoms and molecules, as well as in astronomical bodies such as planets and stars.