DirectX 9.0 vs 8.1: Which Version is Necessary for Optimal Gaming Performance?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, if you're happy with Directx 8.1, you don't need to download 9.0 unless you're developing for it. However, many future games and applications will likely require it. As for OpenGL, it depends on your video card driver and the specific application you're using. The necessary files for it will be installed along with your video card drivers.
Saint
My system is installed with Directx 8.1, good enough for all games.

Do I need diectx9.0?
If not necessary, i will not download it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't "NEED" it unless you are developing for 9.0, however, you'll need it soon in the future so why not just download it?

Depends on how you define 'need'. If you're happy with 8.1 so am I. I use 9.0 with win98 and winXP just because it's available (and directx8.0 with win95b). Not being a serious gamer I can only say that I've never noticed any improvement with 9.0, but then I don't think I've ever seen much improvement after installing any of the stuff I've download from Microsoft...except perhaps for the shutdown supplement for win98, I think that one helped.

How about Opengl?
I notice there is a file opengl.dll in Windows/system32 folder,
is this file sufficient for all opengl applications?

Most games/apps that require a certain DirectX version will have it on the cd, so you useually don't need to download it. I only know of 1 game so far that requires it (freelancer.) I'm sure there's probably more already and in the near future many will require it. However I would say don't bother unless you need it already. I downloaded it for programming purposes, but I still do most of my audio/video programmin with DirectX 7.

I'm not sure about the OpenGL, I never use it. I believe it depends on your videocard driver and the app you're using.

I don't think that file contains all the necessary stuff; it might even be just a software OpenGL implementation. But all the stuff you need for it will be installed along with your video card drivers.

1. What is the difference between DirectX 9.0 and 8.1?

DirectX is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) developed by Microsoft for handling multimedia and gaming tasks on Windows operating systems. The main difference between DirectX 9.0 and 8.1 is their level of performance and features. DirectX 9.0 introduced new features such as pixel and vertex shaders, which greatly improved the visual quality of games. It also improved the overall performance of graphics and audio processing, resulting in a smoother and more immersive gaming experience.

2. Is DirectX 9.0 necessary for optimal gaming performance?

DirectX 9.0 is not necessary for optimal gaming performance, but it can greatly enhance the visual and audio quality of games. It also offers better performance compared to DirectX 8.1, especially for newer games that require more advanced graphics and audio processing. However, if you are playing older games that do not utilize the newer features of DirectX 9.0, you may not see a significant difference in performance.

3. Can I still use DirectX 8.1 for gaming?

Yes, you can still use DirectX 8.1 for gaming. Many older games are designed to run on DirectX 8.1 and may not be compatible with newer versions. However, if you want to experience the best graphics and audio quality, you may need to upgrade to DirectX 9.0 or higher.

4. Are there any compatibility issues when upgrading from DirectX 8.1 to 9.0?

Generally, there are no compatibility issues when upgrading from DirectX 8.1 to 9.0. However, some games may require specific versions of DirectX to run properly. In this case, you may need to install both versions of DirectX or check for any patches or updates from the game developer.

5. Can I have both DirectX 8.1 and 9.0 installed on my computer?

Yes, you can have both DirectX 8.1 and 9.0 installed on your computer. DirectX versions are backward compatible, which means newer versions can still run applications designed for older versions. This allows you to play both newer and older games without any compatibility issues. However, it is recommended to keep your DirectX version updated to the latest release for optimal performance and compatibility.