Pressure Relief Device for High Pressure Separator

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a safety device for a high pressure and high temperature system with a 6" diameter connection. The suggestion of using an ASME code pressure relief valve is given, along with the recommendation to perform an analysis to determine the required capacity for the valve. Assistance from someone at the place of employment is suggested for determining the specific requirements for the valve.
liecdre97
I am working on a high pressure (280 bar - 4000 psig), high temperature (250 C - 480 F) system and I need a safety device that can vent through a 6" diameter connection. I would love some feedback on viable and practical solutions for this application. I am considering a valve, but I am not sure how practical they are at those pressures, temperatures and size. Any thoughts on that would be great. Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Liecdre. Welcome to the board.
It sounds like you're trying to protect a pressure vessel, in which case you will need a valve that conforms to the laws in your country. In the US for example, ASME code vessels must have ASME code pressure relief valves on them to protect them. If in the US, I'd start with the Anderson Greenwood pilot operated valves shown on page 7 of this brochure. Contact your local representative for details. http://valves.pentair.com/valves/Images/PVCMC-0334-US_tcm106-13900.pdf

You will of course have to determine the capacity of the valve by performing an analysis on the process. If the potential for over pressure is from heating or boiling for example, the analysis has to examine how the heat can potentially over pressure the vessel/system. A fire case might also need to be examined. I'd suggest locating someone to help you at your place of employment to assist you in determining what the requirements are for the various cases the valve has to be capable of handling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pressure Relief Device for High Pressure Separator

1. What is a pressure relief device for high pressure separators?

A pressure relief device for high pressure separators is a safety mechanism that is installed in the vessel to prevent over-pressurization. It is designed to release excess pressure from the separator to maintain safe operating conditions.

2. Why is a pressure relief device necessary for high pressure separators?

A pressure relief device is necessary to prevent catastrophic accidents and damage to the separator equipment. High pressure separators operate under extreme pressures, and if the pressure exceeds the maximum limit, it can cause explosions or ruptures. The pressure relief device ensures the safe release of pressure to avoid such incidents.

3. How does a pressure relief device work?

A pressure relief device works by sensing the pressure inside the separator vessel. When the pressure reaches a certain threshold, the device opens to release the excess pressure. This can be achieved through different mechanisms such as spring-loaded valves, rupture discs, or pilot-operated valves.

4. How often should a pressure relief device be inspected and maintained?

The frequency of inspection and maintenance for a pressure relief device depends on the type of device and the operating conditions. Generally, it is recommended to inspect and test the device annually to ensure proper functioning. However, in high-risk industries, more frequent inspections may be required.

5. What are the consequences of not having a pressure relief device for high pressure separators?

Not having a pressure relief device for high pressure separators can lead to serious safety hazards and equipment damage. It can result in explosions, fires, and other accidents. In addition, it can also lead to regulatory penalties and operational downtime. Therefore, it is essential to have a properly functioning pressure relief device in high pressure separators.