Pressure problem - Impulse of object striking a head

In summary, the conversation discusses a pressure problem involving an object striking a head. The pressure on the head is being calculated using the formula p=F/A, where the area of the object's corner is 0.25 cm2 and the time for the object to stop is 1.00 ms. The resulting pressure is 8.88*10^8 N/m2. However, the person is having trouble finding the force using the formula F=ma. The conversation then delves into the concept of impulse, which is a change in momentum. The force can also be calculated as a change in momentum, and there is a relationship between force and change in momentum. The person is asked to show their work explicitly to find where they
ron360
Pressure problem -- Impulse of object striking a head

1. A police crime lab is trying to determine whether someone was murdered or died as a result of an accident. He was struck in the temple by a 4.20 kg sculpture that is alleged to have fallen off a bookcase. The sculpture presumably fell a distance of 1.43 m and the corner that struck him had an area of 0.25 cm2. If the time for the sculpture to stop was 1.00 ms, the pressure on his temple, in N/m2, was...
2. i know pressure is : p=F/A
A(area)= 2.5*10^(-5)m^2
and the answer is p=8.88*10^(8)N/m^2

but i can't get force in any way
i know its F=ma, but whatever i try doesn't work. please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what an impulse is?

in know its change in momentum which is mv, but how would you apply to my force?

A force is also a change in momentum, right?

yeah but change i get is F=6.006*10^8(kg*m/s^2) and its not the actual force

Change in momentum and force have some relationship you can use (together with one of the values from the problem statement).

Maybe show all your work explicitly so we can find out where you are going wrong.

Related to Pressure problem - Impulse of object striking a head

1. What is pressure and how is it related to force?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force applied per unit area. It is related to force through the equation pressure = force / area. This means that the greater the force applied to a smaller area, the higher the pressure will be.

2. How does the impulse of an object striking a head affect pressure?

The impulse of an object striking a head refers to the change in momentum that occurs when an object hits the head. This increase in momentum causes an increase in force and therefore an increase in pressure on the head. The higher the impulse, the greater the pressure on the head will be.

3. What factors can influence the pressure caused by an object striking a head?

The pressure caused by an object striking a head can be influenced by several factors, including the speed and mass of the object, the surface area of contact, and the rigidity of the head. The angle and direction of impact can also play a role in determining the pressure exerted on the head.

4. How can pressure on the head be reduced in the event of an object striking it?

To reduce the pressure on the head caused by an object striking it, it is important to minimize the momentum of the object by decreasing its speed or mass. Protective gear, such as helmets, can also help to distribute the force over a larger area and reduce the pressure on a specific point of impact.

5. What are some potential consequences of high pressure on the head from an object strike?

High pressure on the head from an object strike can lead to various consequences, including concussions, brain injury, and skull fractures. These injuries can range from mild to severe and may require medical attention. It is important to seek medical help if you experience any symptoms after being struck on the head.