Pressure on sides and ends of pool, given the pools dimensions and depth

In summary, the force caused by the water on the bottom of a swimming pool with dimensions 34.0 m x 9.0 m and a depth of 2.30 m is equal to 6.90 x 10^6. However, the pressure on the sides and ends cannot be determined without knowing the dimensions of those areas. The correct equation to use is Pb = ρgz, where ρ is the density of water, g is the force of gravity, and z is the area of the pool. The force at the bottom, Fb, can then be found by multiplying Pb by the area of the bottom of the pool.
denxnis

Homework Statement

A swimming pool has dimensions 34.0 m 9.0 m and a flat bottom. When the pool is filled to a depth of 2.30 m with fresh water, what is the force caused by the water on the bottom?

I have the answer to this which is 6.90 x 10^6, however I cannot figure out the pressure on the sides or ends.

Homework Equations

Pressure on bottom = water density X gravity x area

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the water depth has to play into this somehow but I cannot figure out how...
I attempted 9.80 x 2 x 9 = 176.4 kN
and
9.80 x 2 x 34 = 666.4 kN

These were incorrect

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equation is wrong.
Check it.

Apologies,
ρ = density - P = pressure - F = force - b = bottom of pool -
z = area of pool
Pb = ρgz
Fb = PbA

z is the depth of the water. Now find the pressure at the bottom Pb and then Fb

Related to Pressure on sides and ends of pool, given the pools dimensions and depth

1. How does the depth of the pool affect the pressure on the sides and ends?

The depth of the pool has a direct impact on the pressure on the sides and ends. As the depth increases, so does the pressure on the walls of the pool. This is because the weight of the water above exerts a larger force on the walls. Therefore, a deeper pool will have a higher pressure on the sides and ends compared to a shallower pool.

2. Does the shape of the pool affect the pressure on the sides and ends?

Yes, the shape of the pool can affect the pressure on the sides and ends. A circular or oval-shaped pool will have a more uniform pressure distribution on the walls compared to a rectangular or square-shaped pool. This is because the curved shape of a circular or oval pool allows for a more equal distribution of the pressure around the entire perimeter.

3. How do the dimensions of the pool impact the pressure on the sides and ends?

The dimensions of the pool, such as length and width, also play a role in the pressure on the sides and ends. A longer or wider pool will have a greater surface area, which means there will be more water pushing against the walls. Therefore, the pressure on the sides and ends will be higher in a larger pool compared to a smaller one.

4. Can the water level in the pool affect the pressure on the sides and ends?

Yes, the water level in the pool can affect the pressure on the sides and ends. If the water level is higher, there will be more water pushing against the walls, resulting in a higher pressure. On the other hand, a lower water level will result in a lower pressure on the sides and ends of the pool.

5. How can I calculate the pressure on the sides and ends of my pool given its dimensions and depth?

To calculate the pressure on the sides and ends of a pool, you will need to know the density of the water (usually 1000 kg/m³), the depth of the pool, and the dimensions (length, width, and height) of the pool. The formula for calculating pressure is force divided by area. In this case, the force is the weight of the water, which can be calculated by multiplying the density of water by the volume of water in the pool. The area is the surface area of the walls of the pool, which can be calculated by multiplying the perimeter of the pool by the height. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula to calculate the pressure on the sides and ends of your pool.