Pressure exerted in an elevator

In summary: Yes, sorry, I'm just trying to understand the concept.Yes, sorry, I'm just trying to understand the concept.In summary, the elevator's upward acceleration of 1.5m/s^2 will result in a greater pressure being applied to the floor beneath the suitcase, which has a mass of 16kg and an area of 0.50m by 0.15m. To calculate the force exerted on the suitcase by the floor, you would add the force of gravity (weight) to the force applied by the elevator's acceleration. This total force would then be divided by the area of the suitcase to determine the pressure in excess of atmospheric pressure.
KingTutATL
A suitcase (mass m=16kg) is resting on the floor of an elevator. The part of the suitcase in contact with the floor measures 0.50m by 0.15m. The elevator is moving upward, the magnitude of its acceleration being 1.5m/s^2. What pressure (in excess of atmospheric pressure) is applied to the floor beneath the suitcase?

This problem isn't too hard. Elevator is going up so the pressure will be greater than normal produced by the suitcase. Take the area of the suitcase and continue from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
KingTutATL said:
A suitcase (mass m=16kg) is resting on the floor of an elevator. The part of the suitcase in contact with the floor measures 0.50m by 0.15m. The elevator is moving upward, the magnitude of its acceleration being 1.5m/s^2. What pressure (in excess of atmospheric pressure) is applied to the floor beneath the suitcase?

This problem isn't too hard. Elevator is going up so the pressure will be greater than normal produced by the suitcase. Take the area of the suitcase and continue from there?
What is the force exerted on the suitcase by the floor? What is the area over which this force acts? That should be all you need.

AM

When calculating the force do I just add 1.5m/s^2 to 9.8m/s^2 and then calculate the force per area from there?

KingTutATL said:
When calculating the force do I just add 1.5m/s^2 to 9.8m/s^2 and then calculate the force per area from there?
Conceptually, the acceleration and gravity are different. You would add the force of gravity (weight) which the floor applies with no acceleration, to the force which the elevetor applies to accelerate the suitcase:

[tex]F_{normal} = ma + mg[/tex]

AM

Of course, that's just
[tex]F_{normal}= m(a+ g)[/tex]
as KingTutAtl asked.

HallsofIvy said:
Of course, that's just
[tex]F_{normal}= m(a+ g)[/tex]
as KingTutAtl asked.
Of course. I should have begun my answer with: "Yes, provided you multiply by the mass". It appeared to me that the op was uncertain as to why you would add them together, since there is no acceleration due to gravity.

AM

Last edited:

Related to Pressure exerted in an elevator

What is pressure exerted in an elevator?

Pressure exerted in an elevator refers to the force per unit area that is applied on the walls or floor of an elevator due to the weight of the elevator and its occupants.

How is pressure exerted in an elevator calculated?

Pressure exerted in an elevator can be calculated by dividing the weight of the elevator and its occupants by the surface area of the elevator walls or floor that is in contact with them.

What factors affect the pressure exerted in an elevator?

The pressure exerted in an elevator is affected by the weight of the elevator and its occupants, the surface area of the elevator that is in contact with them, and the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator.

How does pressure exerted in an elevator change during its movement?

As an elevator moves, the pressure exerted on its walls or floor changes due to the change in weight and acceleration. This can be felt by the occupants as a change in their ears or a sensation of weightlessness.

Is the pressure exerted in an elevator different at different floors?

Yes, the pressure exerted in an elevator can vary at different floors due to factors such as the height of the building, the number of floors, and the speed of the elevator. The pressure may also be affected by external factors such as changes in air pressure or temperature.