Pressure due to molecular velocity problem

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving the pressure exerted by H2 molecules on a wall. The problem provides the mass, velocity, and angle of the molecules, but the person is having trouble arriving at the correct solution. They have been attempting the problem for over 2 hours and 45 minutes. The solution involves calculating the change in momentum of the molecules as they bounce off the wall, using the velocity in the x direction and considering the length of one side of the wall. The conversation ends with someone providing a hint on how to find the pressure by calculating the change in momentum and using it to find the force exerted on the wall.
pmastchief
Hey guys,

I am having a little problem with a problem I am doing in Physics (thermo chapter).

Well, here is the problem:

"The mass of the H2 molecule is 3.3e24 g. If 10e23 H2 molecules per second strike 2.0 cm^2 of wall at an angle of 55° with the normal when moving with a speed of 1.7 10e5 cm/s, what pressure in Pascals do they exert on the wall?"

I have attempted this problem numerous times for atleast 2 hours and 45 minutes and have not been able to get the correct solution.

I keep on getting 2.51e5 Pa but it is not correct.

If anyone could shed some light on this problem, I would greatly appreciate it! I am more interested as to how you arrive to the solution rather that just an answer.

thanks,
joe:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you arrived at your answer. (Hint: Consider the change in momentum of the molecules as they bounce off the wall.)

The value of the velocity that is used during momentum calculation is the velocity in the x direction which would be :

Vx = 170 m/s * cos (55 degrees)
I converted the velocity from centimeters to meters
(velocity in centimeters = 170000 cm/s)

and the pressure exerted is:
P = [ n*m*(Na) / L^3 ] * Vx^2

where
n is the number of moles
m is the mass of the molecules
Na is Avogadro's number
Vx is the calculation above

However, I just realized that the L is the length and I was using the area that is given to me in the problem. But how can I find the pressure if I do not have the length of one side?

thanks

[tex]N\Delta p=F\Delta T=F[/tex]

where [tex]p[/tex] is the momentum

The pressure is [tex]P=\frac{F}{1m^2}=F[/tex]

You just need to calculate the [tex]\Delta p[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Pressure due to molecular velocity problem

1. What is pressure due to molecular velocity problem?

Pressure due to molecular velocity problem is a concept in physics that explains the pressure exerted by a gas on its container due to the motion of its molecules. This pressure is a result of the collisions between gas molecules and the walls of the container.

2. How is pressure due to molecular velocity problem related to temperature?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, the average kinetic energy of gas molecules is directly proportional to the temperature. As temperature increases, the molecules move faster and collide with the container walls more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure.

3. What factors affect pressure due to molecular velocity problem?

The pressure due to molecular velocity problem is affected by the number of gas molecules, their speed, and the size of the container. An increase in any of these factors will result in a higher pressure, while a decrease will result in a lower pressure.

4. How is pressure due to molecular velocity problem measured?

Pressure due to molecular velocity problem can be measured using a device called a barometer. It works by balancing the pressure of the gas with the weight of a column of liquid, such as mercury, in a sealed tube.

5. Can pressure due to molecular velocity problem be calculated?

Yes, the pressure due to molecular velocity problem can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to the number of gas molecules, temperature, and volume, and inversely proportional to the gas constant. This law can be used to solve for pressure if the other variables are known.