Pressure drop per unit length of the pipe

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the Darcy-Weisbach pressure loss equation to calculate the driving force needed to maintain a flow rate of 5×10−2m3/s in a smooth pipe with a 0.1 m diameter. The friction factor is found using a plot of Fanning friction factor versus Reynolds Number, and the shear stress at the wall is related to the pressure gradient in the tube. The conversation also mentions the relationship between the Darcy and Fanning friction factors and how the pressure gradient is constant in pipe flow. The final question is about expressing the driving force in terms of pressure drop per unit length, but it is unclear if the question has been solved yet.
umalik
MODERATOR NOTE: THERE IS NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE THIS THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY MISPLACED IN A NON-HOMEWORK FORUM

Viscous liquid (ρ = 1460 kg/m3, μ = 5.2×10−1Ns/m2) is pumped through a smooth pipe with a 0.1 m diameter, at a rate of 5×10−2m3/s. Using your Fanning friction factor versus Reynolds Number plot to estimate the driving force needed to maintain the flow rate mentioned earlier. I need to express the driving force in terms of pressure drop per unit length of the pipe. No length is provided so the force will be a function of pressure drop and a constant of L.

I've found the the velocity, reynolds number. The fanning friction factor I got was by reading of the subsequent friction factor for the calculated reynolds number from the plot. I'm not sure where to go from here as I've used the darcy-weisbach pressure loss equation but don't know to solve the equation with varying units. Could someone guide me as to what to whether I've taken the correct approach and how I should go about solving the equation?

Thank you so very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you calculated the shear stress at the wall, τ? How is the pressure gradient in the tube related to the shear stress at the wall?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Have you calculated the shear stress at the wall, τ? How is the pressure gradient in the tube related to the shear stress at the wall?

Chet
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how the shear stress can be calculated without the length for the pipe.
I've calculated an answer of approximately 1629 N/m from the pressure loss equation. Not sure if that is correct.

umalik said:
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how the shear stress can be calculated without the length for the pipe.
I've calculated an answer of approximately 1629 N/m from the pressure loss equation. Not sure if that is correct.
I'm not going to check your result, but have you ever seen the following equation?
$$\tau = \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 f$$
where f is the friction factor and τ is the shear stress at the wall.
Have you ever seen the following equation?
$$Δp=4\frac{L}{D}τ$$
What does that tell you about Δp/L?

Chet

Ahhh, great. Thank you so much. Could I just ask, as to when the darcy-weisbach pressure loss equation is used? What are the specific conditions for using that to calculate pressure drop rather than the pressure gradient method that you mentioned? I'm unable to find any specific information in the textbooks I have.

It's really the same thing. The Darcy friction factor is 4x the Fanning friction factor that I used.

Also, in flow in a pipe, the pressure gradient is constant, so
$$\Delta p=\frac{dP}{dx}L$$
Chet

umalik said:
Ahhh, great. Thank you so much. Could I just ask, as to when the darcy-weisbach pressure loss equation is used? What are the specific conditions for using that to calculate pressure drop rather than the pressure gradient method that you mentioned? I'm unable to find any specific information in the textbooks I have.
i am doing this question, too. how did you solve it finally? i don't understand what does it mean by driving force in terms of pressure drop per unit length, does that ask us to express the function in terms of pressure drop and L? or do you actually solve it...

Related to Pressure drop per unit length of the pipe

1. What is pressure drop per unit length of the pipe?

The pressure drop per unit length of the pipe, also known as the pressure gradient, is the decrease in pressure as a fluid flows through a pipe. It is usually measured in units of pressure per unit length, such as psi/ft or kPa/m.

2. Why is pressure drop per unit length of the pipe important?

The pressure drop per unit length of the pipe is an important factor to consider in the design and operation of fluid systems. It can affect the flow rate, energy consumption, and overall efficiency of the system.

3. How is pressure drop per unit length of the pipe calculated?

The pressure drop per unit length of the pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as fluid velocity, pipe diameter, and roughness of the pipe surface. Alternatively, it can be determined experimentally by measuring the pressure at different points along the pipe.

4. What factors can affect pressure drop per unit length of the pipe?

Several factors can affect the pressure drop per unit length of the pipe, including the type of fluid, pipe diameter, flow rate, pipe material, and any obstructions or changes in direction along the pipe. The viscosity and density of the fluid can also play a role.

5. How can pressure drop per unit length of the pipe be minimized?

To minimize pressure drop per unit length of the pipe, engineers can make design changes such as using larger pipe diameters, reducing obstructions or changes in direction, and using smoother pipe materials. Additionally, choosing a fluid with lower viscosity can also help reduce pressure drop.