Pressure drop across an orifice (Orifice pressure drop in meters?)

In summary, the conversation is about converting a pressure drop (Pa) to a pressure head (m) using the formula ΔP = Pa/(ρg). The question is asked about how to convert pressure to meters, and the answer is given to divide by the density (ρ) and gravitational acceleration (g). However, the question is clarified that it is about calculating the ideal mass flowrate of air, and a calculation is shown using the given values and an air properties table. The final answer seems too large, and the conversation ends with no further solution.
scottniblock

Homework Statement

ΔP = 1000 x 9.81 x (Orifice pressure drop in m)

Pressure drop across orifice = 470.72 Pa

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how this works. How can pressure be converted to meters? It does not make sense to me.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
To convert a pressure (Pa) to a pressure head (m) divide by ρg (N/m^3).

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Still slightly confused.

It is ΔP that I need to find in order to calculate the ideal mass flowrate of air.

Do I already have the answer to the question, ie ΔP = 470.72 Pa ?

or do I need to use an Air properties table to find ρ at the temperature I am given?

Question

Orifice pressure drop in meters = (Pa (N/m^2 ))/(ρg (N/m^3 )) This gives answer in meters

Question 1

Given:
T = 312 K
ρ = 1.1333 kg/m^3 (From Air properties table)
g = 9.81 m/s^2

Orifice pressure drop = 470.72 Pa

Calculation:

Orifice pressure drop in meters = 470.72 / (9.81x1.1333) = 42.34 meters

This answer does not seem right, looks way too large.

Sorry, I thought you were only looking for the conversion and I assumed you were talking about an incompressible fluid not a compressible gas. So I can't help you there.

Related to Pressure drop across an orifice (Orifice pressure drop in meters?)

1. What is an orifice and how does it affect pressure drop?

An orifice is a small opening or hole that is placed in a pipe or vessel to control the flow of fluid. When fluid flows through the orifice, it experiences a decrease in pressure due to the restriction of flow.

2. What factors affect the pressure drop across an orifice?

The pressure drop across an orifice is affected by the size and shape of the orifice, the velocity of the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, and the density of the fluid. Other factors such as the temperature and the type of fluid can also play a role.

3. How is the pressure drop across an orifice calculated?

The pressure drop across an orifice can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity, density, and pressure of the fluid before and after the orifice. It can also be calculated using specialized equations such as the orifice flow equation or the discharge coefficient equation.

4. What is the significance of orifice pressure drop in meters?

Orifice pressure drop in meters is a unit of measurement that is commonly used in engineering and fluid mechanics to quantify the pressure drop across an orifice. It is important because it allows for easy comparison and understanding of the pressure drop values in different systems.

5. How can the pressure drop across an orifice be controlled?

The pressure drop across an orifice can be controlled by changing the size or shape of the orifice, adjusting the flow rate of the fluid, or using different types of orifice designs. It can also be controlled by using pressure regulators or other control devices in the system.