Pressure dependence of the Heat Capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between heat capacity/specific heat and pressure. It is mentioned that there are equations that relate these properties, and that the density of a material is also dependent on pressure. The speaker is trying to understand how specific heat is related to pressure, and whether a model can be created that takes into account the temperature and pressure dependence of specific heat and density. The question is posed of whether specific heat actually has a dependence on pressure, given its units, and whether volumetric specific heat is simply the product of density and specific heat.
Hypatio
I am trying to understand the nature of the dependence of heat capacity/specific heat on pressure.

I understand that one may give the the following relations:

[itex]\frac{C_p}{C_v}=1+\alpha\gamma T[/itex]
where [itex]C_p,C_v,\alpha,\gamma, and T[/itex] are isoberic specific heat, isochoric specific heat, thermal expansivity, Anderson-Gruneisen parameter, and Temperature, respectively.
[itex]C_v=\frac{\alpha V K_T}{\gamma}[/itex]
where V is volume and K_T is the isothermal bulk modulus.What I do not think I fully grasp from these relationships is how the specific heat is related to the pressure. Is appears as though the heat capacity of a material depends on the pressure only because the density depends on the pressure.

In other words, and more specifically related to my own challenges; If I wanted to model heat transport with both the density and specific heat depending on pressure and temperature in a thermodynamically consistent way (lets ignore conductivity, with which I have no problems), I could use temperature-dependent data for [itex]C_p[/itex] and temperature-pressure dependent data for the density and the model would be fully consistent (lets also ignore phase changes)?

If so, am I correct to say that it must be true that the specific heat, having the dimensions of J kg-1 K-1 actually does NOT have a dependence on pressure? And also, that the volumetric specific heat having dimensions J m-3 K-1 is actually just [itex]\rho C_p[/itex].

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
specific heat or heat capacity are the properties of the substance . the shall remain same under any condition for the same substance.

That explanation isn't compatible with the fact that specific heat is strongly temperature dependent. Why is specific heat temperature dependent and not pressure dependent?

Related to Pressure dependence of the Heat Capacity

1. What is "pressure dependence of the heat capacity"?

The pressure dependence of the heat capacity is the relationship between the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a substance and the pressure applied to that substance. It is a measure of how the heat capacity of a substance changes as the pressure on it is varied.

2. Why is it important to study the pressure dependence of the heat capacity?

Studying the pressure dependence of the heat capacity is important because it can provide insight into the thermodynamic properties of a substance. It can also help in understanding how a substance will behave under different conditions, such as in high pressure environments.

3. How is the pressure dependence of the heat capacity measured?

The pressure dependence of the heat capacity is typically measured using calorimetry techniques, which involve measuring the temperature change of a substance as heat is added or removed at a constant pressure.

4. What factors can affect the pressure dependence of the heat capacity?

The pressure dependence of the heat capacity can be affected by several factors, such as the type of substance, temperature, and the amount of pressure applied. Additionally, the state of the substance (solid, liquid, or gas) can also influence its pressure dependence.

5. How does the pressure dependence of the heat capacity differ between different substances?

The pressure dependence of the heat capacity can vary significantly between different substances. Some substances may have a strong pressure dependence, meaning their heat capacity changes significantly with pressure, while others may have a weak pressure dependence. The behavior of a substance under pressure can also depend on its molecular structure and intermolecular forces.