Pressure Chamber with Flat Door

In summary, a pressure chamber with a flat door is a sealed container used to subject objects or substances to high levels of pressure. This is achieved by pumping air or other gases into the chamber, creating a pressurized environment. The flat door design allows for a tight seal and easy access to the chamber for loading and unloading. Pressure chambers with flat doors are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and material testing to simulate extreme conditions and test the durability and performance of various materials and components. They are also used in research and development to study the effects of pressure on biological systems and in the production of certain products, such as food packaging. Overall, pressure chambers with flat doors are essential tools for testing and experimentation in a variety
Handerson Tjia
I am currently new in this forum and just a senior high graduate, so pardon me if I have some errors in writing this questions.

I have a cylindrical pressure chamber with approximately 80 cm in diameter and the length of 1.5 m and metal wall 1 cm in thickness. I know most pressure chamber have circular curved door on it, like this one for instance.

article-2711646-2025AC6500000578-340_634x390.jpg

I was wondering if I can put flat circular door on the chamber (because curved circular door are difficult and expensive to make). Can I put 8 bar of pressure to it? Could it withstand the pressure? And what is best suggestion on this pressure chamber?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Handerson Tjia said:
I was wondering if I can put flat circular door on the chamber (because curved circular door are difficult and expensive to make). Can I put 8 bar of pressure to it? Could it withstand the pressure? And what is best suggestion on this pressure chamber?
You have marked the level of knowledge with an "A" advanced, which would mean that you should know how to calculate the stresses on the door, and strains.
Material selection would be important as well as welding and fabrication for high pressure vessels ( ie handle and locking cogs ), and stress removal after fabrication.
Just off the top of my head.

Your question implies otherwise.

Likes davenn
EDIT: I don't know the level of knowledge being the "A" sign. I thought it was the answer that will be "A".

I'm still looking for answers

Answer in principle is that yes you could but probably not a good idea .

It would have to be much thicker and the practical difficulties of design , manufacture , installation , test and certification may cost a lot more than just using the existing dome end door .

Pressure vessels are subject to stringent design and test regulations . If you actually decide to pursue this change then you would need to employ a qualified professional engineer with extensive experience of pressure vessels .

Likes Chestermiller
If you are contemplating designing parts for a large volume, operating at 8bar then you seriously need some professional advice abut it. For a start, you will need some insurance and any insurer will need certification by a competent engineer.
You seriously shouldn't hope to get 'safe' information on any (albeit relatively well informed) forum such as PF. We enjoy stimulating but inconsequential chats and not safety of life stuff. Boring for you perhaps but we are only arse covering and that's something you should be doing too. :smile:
PS Just calculate the Work involved in isothermally compressing a metre cubed of air to 8 bar. It could bring you out in cold sweats when you think of that energy being returned to a door that's pushed off in your face.

you can use a flat door, just add ribs on the outside to keep the door flat when the chamber is pressurized. but as noted, pressurized tubes can be dangerous. 8bar is ~116lb/sq.in. (116psi), let's say that flat door is 20sq.ft, that's 20x144=2880sq.in, and force would be 0.334x10^6 lbs pushing on that door face. 1/3 million lbs !

keeping a flat door sealed is also a challenge.

certainly you should know the power of pressure, just 15psi here.

Physics_Kid said:
you can use a flat door, just add ribs on the outside to keep the door flat when the chamber is pressurized. but as noted, pressurized tubes can be dangerous. 8bar is ~116lb/sq.in. (116psi), let's say that flat door is 20sq.ft, that's 20x144=2880sq.in, and force would be 0.334x10^6 lbs pushing on that door face. 1/3 million lbs !

keeping a flat door sealed is also a challenge.
It isn't just the Force. The total Energy that can be released is very relevant.
I can guarantee we will have no input to this thread from anyone who is actually competent to give an opinions. Litigation looms.

4 minutes ago #7
sophiecentaur

nobody gave any designs to use. litigation? the OP would have to get the design. a flat door that is 2" thick steel will work, be very darn heavy though. 3/8" steel with lots of ribs will also work, but also a pita to make. concave doors allows for material savings while at the same time will work.

and yes, its rather ez to calc the potential joules in 8bar tube of Xcu.ft. of std air.

The Physics Forums do not allow discussing dangerous activities, and modifying the design of an cubic-meter-sized 8-bar pressure chamber is such an activity. This thread is closed; we cannot improve on Nidum's answer above:
Nidum said:
Pressure vessels are subject to stringent design and test regulations . If you actually decide to pursue this change then you would need to employ a qualified professional engineer with extensive experience of pressure vessels .

Related to Pressure Chamber with Flat Door

What is a pressure chamber with flat door?

A pressure chamber with flat door is a sealed container used to simulate high or low pressure environments for scientific experimentation or industrial purposes.

How does a pressure chamber with flat door work?

In a pressure chamber with flat door, the pressure is altered by compressing or decompressing the air inside the chamber. The flat door allows easy access to the interior of the chamber.

What are the uses of a pressure chamber with flat door?

A pressure chamber with flat door is used in a variety of industries such as aerospace, automotive, and materials testing. It is also used in scientific research to study the effects of pressure on various materials and organisms.

What are the safety precautions for using a pressure chamber with flat door?

Safety precautions for using a pressure chamber with flat door include proper training, following manufacturer instructions, and wearing protective gear. It is important to monitor the pressure and release it slowly to avoid sudden changes that can be dangerous.

Can a pressure chamber with flat door be customized for specific needs?

Yes, pressure chambers with flat doors can be customized to meet specific requirements such as size, pressure range, and material compatibility. It is important to consult with a professional to ensure the chamber is properly designed and built for the intended use.