Pressure and velocity calculation for microchannel. pls help

In summary, the conversation is about designing a 'micro-chemostat' device for E. coli growth in a microbioreactor. The maximum fluid flow velocity and inlet tubing diameter are calculated to prevent contamination of the medium reservoir. The question is raised if a pump with a maximum applied pressure of 2 atm is sufficient to achieve the required fluid velocity. The reactor geometry and experimental set-up are provided, as well as the growth rate equation and assumptions. The attempt at a solution involves using Poiseuille's law to calculate the pressure for each section and determining if 2 atm is enough. However, the speaker is having trouble attaching an image of their work and offers to email it instead.
tanvir islam
Me and my friends have been trying (b) for soooo long! we have gone to PhD students and some fluid dynamic doctors for held and they cannot figure this out.

1. Homework Statement

2) This question concerns the design of a ‘micro-chemostat’ device.

E. coli exhibiting chemotaxis can swim up to 20 times its body length per second. Given a chemostat mode fermentation of E. coli in a microbioreactor, with the limiting substrate at a concentration of 0.2 g.l-1, and using the data provided below, answer the following questions:

(a) What is the minimum fluid flow velocity necessary to prevent the E. coli bacteria swimming up the medium supply, and thus contaminating the medium reservoir? Based on this calculate the maximum diameter for the inlet tubing. (Assume that the calculated minimum fluid velocity is the average velocity across the inlet tubing diameter; assume the length of E. coli to be 2 μm).

ANSWER: Velocity = 40um/s and Diameter = 0.784mm

(b) Given a pump capable of providing a maximum applied pressure of 2 atm, can the pump provide sufficient pressure to achieve the fluid velocity required assuming 50 cm inlet tubing? Assume water viscosity. Show your working.

Reactor geometry and experimental set-up:- Inletchannel=30x1x1mm3- Reactor chamber: assume zero flow resistance
- Outletchannel=30x1x1mm3

- Outlet tubing = 10 cm length x 25 μm diameter
- Back-pressure regulator: constant pressure drop of 34 kPa

where μ, D, Q, V are the growth rate, dilution rate, volumetric flow rate and volume of the micro

bioreactor chamber, respectively. Assumption of Monod growth:

where μmax (maximum growth rate) = 1.5 hr , and KS (the ‘half-velocity constant’) = 0.55 g.l , and V (volume of the reactor) = 150 μl.

Homework Equations

None given (I think we use poisseulle's law)

The Attempt at a Solution

plug values into poiseulle's law to figure out pressure for each section.
add all the pressures and take away BPR.
ANS: 2atm is not sufficient

attaching and image of my work is not working so I will email you the what i have done if you need it.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What part is it you are not getting?

tanvir islam said:
attaching and image of my work is not working so I will email you the what i have done if you need it

We need to see that you've done some of the work. Can you simply type the work into the main body of the message?

Related to Pressure and velocity calculation for microchannel. pls help

1. What is a microchannel?

A microchannel is a small-scale channel with dimensions typically in the range of 10-500 micrometers. It is used in various fields such as microfluidics, biomedical engineering, and microelectronics for precise control and manipulation of fluids.

2. How do you calculate pressure in a microchannel?

The pressure in a microchannel can be calculated using the Navier-Stokes equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and viscosity. It can also be calculated using the Poiseuille equation, which relates pressure drop to flow rate and channel dimensions.

3. What factors affect the velocity in a microchannel?

The velocity in a microchannel is affected by several factors, including channel dimensions, fluid viscosity, flow rate, and surface roughness. The geometry of the channel and the type of fluid being used can also impact the velocity.

4. How do you account for non-ideal behavior in pressure and velocity calculations for microchannels?

Non-ideal behavior in microchannels can arise due to factors such as fluid slip at the channel walls, temperature gradients, and electrokinetic effects. These can be accounted for by incorporating appropriate correction factors into the equations used for pressure and velocity calculations.

5. What are some common methods for measuring pressure and velocity in microchannels?

Some common methods for measuring pressure and velocity in microchannels include using pressure transducers, flow rate sensors, and microscopy techniques. Micro Particle Image Velocimetry (µPIV) is also a popular method for measuring velocity in microchannels.