Preperation reading for a physics summer course

In summary: I will definitely check them out.In summary, this person is looking to prepare for a university level physics course by taking a summer course, but does not have the background to do so. They are interested in Prime_Obsession by Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics by J.D.erbyshire, but they are also thinking about adding Thinking in Systems by Meadows. They are interested in Feynman lectures, but are unsure if they are suitable for their goal.
raam86
Hi,
As a prerequisite for Bsc in Physics+Math I have to take a summer course in physics since I do not have sufficient background for the course of studies.
My math background is high end high school level (complex numbers, trig', calculus etc')

However the scope of the course is : Kinematics (1 dimension, 2 dimensions), Dynamics (What is force, tension, Newtons' laws and Preservations laws (Momentum,Plastic and Elastic circulations,Work,Gravity,Preservation of energy) only.

I will not be able to get hold of the actual textbook used and in the course and I also thought a different perspective would be nice. My goal is to be some what familiar with the concepts and rigour I am about to encounter in a university level physics course.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Will Giancoli Physics Principles and applications 6th edition be suitable for my goal?
Also what do you think about this reading list as a mental preparation for college?

Carl.Sagan.-.The.Demon.Haunted.World.-.science.as.a.candle.in.the.dark
Euler_The.Master.Of.Us.All_Dunham
Godel Escher Bach.
Journey through Genius
B. Green-.Hidden.Reality.Parallel.Universe
RICHARD P. FEYNMAN-SURELY YOU'RE JOKING MR. FEYNMAN
The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow
The.Man.Who.Loved.Only.Numbers

I am also thinking about adding:
Prime_Obsession_Bernhard_Riemann_and_the_Greatest_Unsolved_Problem_in_Mathematics-J_Derbyshire
and Thinking in Systems by MeadowsI am mostly interested in preparing my mind and reason to handle the concepts then actually learning the concepts themselves, This is the reason I am paying those busters all that money!

Last edited:
any comments at all? Prime_Obsession is an amazing book. I think I will get into the golden braid later

raam86 said:
Will Giancoli Physics Principles and applications 6th edition be suitable for my goal?
Also what do you think about this reading list as a mental preparation for college?

Carl.Sagan.-.The.Demon.Haunted.World.-.science.as.a.candle.in.the.dark
Euler_The.Master.Of.Us.All_Dunham
Godel Escher Bach.
Journey through Genius
B. Green-.Hidden.Reality.Parallel.Universe
RICHARD P. FEYNMAN-SURELY YOU'RE JOKING MR. FEYNMAN
The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow
The.Man.Who.Loved.Only.Numbers

I am also thinking about adding:
Prime_Obsession_Bernhard_Riemann_and_the_Greatest_Unsolved_Problem_in_Mathematics-J_Derbyshire
and Thinking in Systems by Meadows

I am mostly interested in preparing my mind and reason to handle the concepts then actually learning the concepts themselves, This is the reason I am paying those busters all that money!

I think Giancoli's Physics Principles book is more algebra based (rather than calculus based), so if you're going into physics, a book that would be more useful in the long run would be Giancoli's Physics for Scientists and Engineers (or something similar). The latter worked well for me.

Popular science books won't really be usefull in preparing for college. I mean by all means read them if you think they're interesting but don't expect them to prepare you for what you're going to get in college.
I would recommend something that actually goes into quantitative analysis of physics. I don't have a lot of experience with different books though so I can't recommend anything specific.
Well maybe you could start with the first part of the Feynman lectures in physics or maybe Young and Freedman's "University Physics".

Feynman lectures! thanks

Related to Preperation reading for a physics summer course

1. What topics should I focus on while preparing for a physics summer course?

It is important to have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. Make sure to review topics such as kinematics, Newton's Laws of Motion, electric and magnetic fields, and thermodynamic laws.

2. What resources are best for preparing for a physics summer course?

Some good resources for preparation include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and past exams. Additionally, you can consult with your instructor or peers for recommended resources.

3. How much time should I dedicate to preparing for a physics summer course?

This will vary depending on your current understanding of physics and your learning style. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 2-3 hours per day for a few weeks leading up to the course to ensure a strong foundation in the subject.

4. Is it important to have a strong mathematical background for a physics summer course?

Yes, having a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra and calculus, is essential for understanding and solving physics problems. It is important to review concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and basic trigonometry.

5. What can I do to enhance my understanding of physics before the course begins?

In addition to reviewing concepts and practicing problems, you can also try to apply the concepts to real-world situations. This will help solidify your understanding and make the course material more relatable. Additionally, you can attend workshops or seek out online resources for interactive learning opportunities.