Preparing to apply for computer science as first degree

In summary, if you are interested in studying Mathematics and Computer Science at Oxbridge, you should consider reading the book 'An introduction to parallel algorithms and architectures' and also check out the course offered at Oxford and the mock interviews at Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Other UK universities also offer joint degrees in these subjects. Entry requirements for Oxford are A*AA and they don't require Further Mathematics, while Cambridge may require candidates to sit STEP papers. Both universities have different interview procedures and are looking for students who can adapt to unfamiliar problems.
huey910
I have always wanted to apply for Mathematics in university but lately I have developed an interest in computer science(after having read some parts of the book 'An introduction to parallel algorithms and architectures') - what other books should I read and how do oxbridge interviews go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much - it is certainly very helpful

A number of other UK universities offer joint mathematics and computer science degrees. Some have "mathematics with computer science" degrees, where there is a higher maths content.

Entry requirements for Oxford are A*AA. They also don't require Further Mathematics, which is cool.

Oxford and Cambridge have different interview procedures, and even in the same university different departments have different approaches. I think that Oxford tends to conduct its interviews over 2 or 3 days, with applicants staying in college over this period, while Cambridge tends to have applicants down for just one day. I believe Cambridge often requires candidates to sit STEP papers, which are conducted externally and at a different time, while Oxford is more likely to set its own internal exams which are sat during the interview period. Both Oxford and Cambridge are flexible with their formal entry requirements, though entry standards are very high. I don't think there is much distinction in the interviews themselves. Something that many applicants coming from school struggle with is the idea that the questions are usually chosen to be a little beyond what the interviewers feel the student knows. The aim is not so much to find out how well a student has been taught but how well he or she can adapt to unfamiliar problems.

Related to Preparing to apply for computer science as first degree

1. What are the necessary prerequisites for applying for a computer science degree?

The specific prerequisites for a computer science degree may vary depending on the university or program, but most commonly include a strong background in math and science, such as calculus, statistics, and physics. Additionally, some programs may require prior experience in coding or computer science-related courses.

2. How can I prepare for the application process for a computer science degree?

To prepare for the application process, it is important to research the specific requirements and deadlines for the program you are interested in. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of computer science concepts and coding languages, as well as to have experience in related extracurricular activities or internships.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities that admissions committees look for in computer science applicants?

While each program may have different criteria for evaluating applicants, some common skills and qualities that may be considered include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, a passion for technology, and a strong work ethic. Demonstrating these qualities through coursework, projects, or other experiences can strengthen your application.

4. Are there any specific tips for writing a successful personal statement for a computer science degree?

When writing your personal statement, it is important to highlight your interest and experience in computer science, as well as your goals and aspirations for pursuing this degree. It can also be helpful to mention any relevant skills or experiences that make you a strong candidate, and to tailor your statement to the specific program or university you are applying to.

5. What is the job outlook for graduates with a computer science degree?

The job outlook for graduates with a computer science degree is very promising, with a growing demand for professionals in this field. Many graduates go on to work in various industries, such as software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, and more. With the continuous advancement of technology, the job market for computer science graduates is expected to continue to grow in the future.