Preparing for the SAT Physics Subject Test: What to Expect and How to Study

In summary, the SAT Physics Subject Test is an exam offered by the College Board that assesses a student's understanding of high school level physics concepts. It is typically taken by students who have completed or are currently taking a high school physics course and is recommended for those planning to pursue a STEM major in college. The test covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It is scored on a scale of 200-800, with one point earned for each correct answer and a 1/4 point deduction for incorrect answers. The best time to take the test is in the spring of junior year or fall of senior year after completing a physics course.
bhatnv
so i am going to be taking the physics subject test soon and i want to know what sort of stuff i should expect from it. Its been 1 year since i took physics and I've forgotten a lot of stuff we did in the later portion of the class. right now i am taking physics AP and we have only gotten through the basic kinematics, and just started free body diagrams. would this be enough for the test?

Physics news on Phys.org
bhatnv said:
right now i am taking physics AP and we have only gotten through the basic kinematics, and just started free body diagrams. would this be enough for the test?

No. You should buy a review book and look at the kinds of questions you should expect, but kinematics and free body diagrams will not suffice.

Related to Preparing for the SAT Physics Subject Test: What to Expect and How to Study

1. What is the SAT Physics Subject Test?

The SAT Physics Subject Test is an exam offered by the College Board that assesses a student's understanding of high school level physics concepts. It is a one-hour multiple-choice test with 75 questions.

2. Who should take the SAT Physics Subject Test?

The SAT Physics Subject Test is typically taken by students who have completed or are currently taking a high school physics course. It is also recommended for students who plan to pursue a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) major in college.

3. What topics are covered on the SAT Physics Subject Test?

The SAT Physics Subject Test covers a range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. A detailed list of topics can be found on the College Board's website.

4. How is the SAT Physics Subject Test scored?

The SAT Physics Subject Test is scored on a scale of 200-800. Each correct answer earns one point, while incorrect answers deduct 1/4 point. Questions left blank do not affect the score. The final score is a scaled score based on the raw score.

5. When is the best time to take the SAT Physics Subject Test?

The SAT Physics Subject Test is offered 6 times a year, usually in October, November, December, January, May, and June. Students should take the test when they feel most prepared, typically after completing a physics course. It is recommended to take the test in the spring of junior year or fall of senior year.