Preparing for Physics Olympiad: What to Study and Resources to Use

• Thread starter freshPhyzWiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about preparing for the Physics Olympiad and what materials to study. The person is asking for recommendations on ebooks, lectures, and tutorials and mentions having studied mechanics and E&M. They also mention taking the qualifying exam and considering using the book Irodov, although it may be time-consuming. It is suggested to review past material, textbook, and other outside reading.
freshPhyzWiz
Preparing for Physics Olympiad

Hey, guys...I am trying to prepare for the qualifying exam of the Physics Olympiad. What should I study? Are there any good ebooks, lectures, or tutorials that I should go over?:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What level of Physics is this for? Highschool? Undergraduate?

Preparing for Physics Olympiad

It's for high school.

And what type of topics have you previously studied?

I'd suggest going over past material, your physics textbook, some outside reading, maybe a few wikipedia articles and reading other textbooks.

So far I have studied mechanics and E&M.

i just took my second round for the physics olympiad. I have heard that irodov is the best book one can study from... though it's tough and time-consuming... olympiads aren't like that really, they don't ask Irodov sort of problems... but if you do the Irodov problems, you won't get stuck at any type of problem.
I haven't done much of it... just EMI, Kinematics and Dynamics.

Last edited:

Related to Preparing for Physics Olympiad: What to Study and Resources to Use

What is Physics Olympia?

Physics Olympia is an international physics competition for high school students. It is designed to test students' knowledge and problem-solving skills in various areas of physics.

Who can participate in Physics Olympia?

High school students who are interested in physics and have a good understanding of the subject are eligible to participate in Physics Olympia. Each country may have its own selection process for choosing participants.

How can I prepare for Physics Olympia?

To prepare for Physics Olympia, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics concepts and problem-solving techniques. Practicing past competition questions and participating in mock tests can also be helpful in improving your skills.

What topics are covered in Physics Olympia?

Physics Olympia covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It is important to have a good understanding of all these areas to perform well in the competition.

What are the benefits of participating in Physics Olympia?

Participating in Physics Olympia can provide valuable experience and recognition for students interested in pursuing a career in physics. It can also help in developing problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and teamwork. Additionally, top-performing students may have the opportunity to represent their country in the International Physics Olympiad.