Preparing for Logic Final: Union of T_n Satisfiable & Not Finitely Axiomatizable

In summary, the conversation is about a logic final and a practice problem involving a strictly increasing sequence of satisfiable L-Theories. The first part of the problem requires showing that the union of all T_n is satisfiable, while the second part involves showing that the union of T_n is not finitely axiomatizable. The speaker is unsure how to approach the second part of the problem and has requested for the conversation to be moved to the logic section for help.
moo5003
I'm studying for my logic final and I can't seem to find an answer for this practice problem:

(Using < as proper subset since I don't have the right type)

T_1 < T_2 < T_3... be a strictly increasing sequence of satisfiable L-Theories.

a) Show that the union of T_n is satisfiable (over all n in the natural numbers).

b) Show that the union of T_n is not finitely axiomatizable.

A) Pretty simple, every finite subset is satisfiable since the largets T_n is satisfiable thus by compactness their entire union is satisfiable.

B) This is were I have some problems. I'm not sure how to go about showing this. I want to show that any finite amount of sentances can only axiomatize up to T_n and then we can simply show that T_n+1 is not axiomatized. Any ideas on this?

EDIT: I posted this in the wrong forum apparently, if anyone could move it to the logic section I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The midterm is over though I would still like to know how to solve this problem.

Hi there,

Preparing for a logic final can be challenging, but let's break down the practice problem to help you find an answer.

First, let's define some terms. A theory is a set of sentences in a formal language that are true under a certain interpretation. A theory is satisfiable if there exists a model that satisfies all the sentences in the theory. A theory is finitely axiomatizable if there exists a finite set of axioms that can generate all the sentences in the theory.

Now, let's look at the problem. We have a sequence of theories, T_1 < T_2 < T_3..., where each theory is a proper subset of the next. This means that T_1 is a proper subset of T_2, T_2 is a proper subset of T_3, and so on. We also know that each theory in this sequence is satisfiable.

a) To show that the union of T_n is satisfiable, we need to show that there exists a model that satisfies all the sentences in the union. Since each theory in the sequence is satisfiable, we know that there exists a model for each theory. By the compactness theorem, we know that if every finite subset of a theory is satisfiable, then the entire theory is satisfiable. In this case, every finite subset of the union of T_n is satisfiable since it is a proper subset of one of the theories in the sequence. Therefore, the entire union of T_n is satisfiable.

b) To show that the union of T_n is not finitely axiomatizable, we need to show that there does not exist a finite set of axioms that can generate all the sentences in the union. One way to do this is through a proof by contradiction. Assume that the union of T_n is finitely axiomatizable. This means that there exists a finite set of axioms that can generate all the sentences in the union. However, since each theory in the sequence is a proper subset of the next, this finite set of axioms can only generate sentences up to T_n. This means that T_n+1 cannot be generated by this finite set of axioms, which contradicts our assumption. Therefore, the union of T_n is not finitely axiomatizable.

I hope this helps with your preparation for the logic final. Good luck!

Related to Preparing for Logic Final: Union of T_n Satisfiable & Not Finitely Axiomatizable

1. What is the best way to prepare for a logic final?

The best way to prepare for a logic final is to start by reviewing all of the material covered in class and in your notes. Make sure you fully understand the concepts and principles before moving on to practice problems. It may also be helpful to create flashcards or study guides to help you remember key terms and formulas.

2. What is the Union of T_n in logic?

The Union of T_n refers to the collection of all theories that can be constructed using a given set of symbols and axioms. In other words, it is the set of all possible theories that can be formed using a specific language and set of rules.

3. What does it mean for a theory to be satisfiable?

A theory is satisfiable if there exists a model or interpretation of the theory in which all of the axioms are true. In other words, it is possible for the statements in the theory to be simultaneously true.

4. Why is the Union of T_n important in logic?

The Union of T_n is important because it allows us to analyze the properties and limitations of different theories. By understanding the characteristics of this union, we can gain deeper insights into the nature of logical systems and their ability to represent and reason about the world.

5. What does it mean for a theory to be not finitely axiomatizable?

A theory is not finitely axiomatizable if it cannot be defined using a finite set of axioms. This means that there is an infinite number of statements that are true in the theory, making it impossible to summarize or encapsulate in a finite way.