Prepare for Ph.D Qualifying Exam in Electrical Engineering

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Ph.d
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic background and their switch from pursuing a Ph.D in Physics to Electrical Engineering. They ask for advice on how to prepare for qualifying exams, specifically in the area of electromagnetics. The respondent suggests focusing on circuit theory and power electronics, and recommends using LTSpice as a simulator. The speaker also mentions their experience with circuit design as a hobby.
Xyius
Hello,

So here is my story..

I will have a bachelors degree in Applied Physics in May. My favorite topic in Physics has always been electromagnetics so I have taken more advanced courses in EM theory than the typical physics student.

I got offered a job at Penn State (from a connection by my EM professor) and got a full fellowship to work in the EE department. I have switched my plans from getting a Ph.D in Physics, to getting one in Electrical Engineering.

I have compared the courses I took with the typical EE curriculum at my school and determined that my curriculum is a lot heavier in the DEPTH but their curriculum is a lot heavier in the BREADTH. What I mean by that is, I have taken a few graduate level E&M courses. These include two advanced E&M courses using Jackson as the textbook. I am also currently taking a course in applied antenna theory typically associated with 2nd or 3rd year grad students. I have taken courses in circuit design and I do circuit projects as a hobby in my free time.

My question is, taking all this in mind, what would I need to study to prepare myself for the qualifying exams? Below is a list of relevant coursework to E&M from my resume'.

RELEVANT COURSEWORK:
Spring 2013:
EE-787: Applied Antenna Theory
PEP-644: Advanced Electricity / Magnetism II
PEP-544: Quantum Mechanics I
PEP-398: SKIL IV
(SKIL IV Is a Laboratory class designed to teach measurement and laboratory techniques.)
Fall 2012:
PEP-643: Advanced Electricity / Magnetism I
PEP-553: Quantum Mechanics w/ Engineering Applications
PEP-397: SKIL III
(SKIL III Is a Laboratory class designed to teach measurement and laboratory techniques.)
Spring 2012:
PEP-542: Intermediate Electricity / Magnetism
PEP-298: SKIL II
(SKIL II is a laboratory course mainly focusing on circuit design.)
Fall 2011:
PEP-297: SKIL I
(SKIL I is a laboratory course mainly focusing on circuit design.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Congratulations - I am in PA and have worked on systems in Penn State - they have great advanced manufacturing lab and I was working with ABB which provided the robotics.
The biggest hole I see is circuit theory - DC and AC Circuits etc, non-linear devices, feedback. While not necessarily difficult topics ( you are obviously intelligent enough to comprehend), there is a lot to cover and come to understand. IMO these really need to be experienced to become competent - there are just so many different combinations. Its a practice sport...
I would also try to get into a power electronics class - since the larger power electro-magenetic systems are so often controlled by power electronics, so an understanding there should serve you well.

Windadct said:
Congratulations - I am in PA and have worked on systems in Penn State - they have great advanced manufacturing lab and I was working with ABB which provided the robotics.
The biggest hole I see is circuit theory - DC and AC Circuits etc, non-linear devices, feedback. While not necessarily difficult topics ( you are obviously intelligent enough to comprehend), there is a lot to cover and come to understand. IMO these really need to be experienced to become competent - there are just so many different combinations. Its a practice sport...
I would also try to get into a power electronics class - since the larger power electro-magenetic systems are so often controlled by power electronics, so an understanding there should serve you well.

Thanks for the reply!

I have always done circuits in my spare time as a hobby and I have learned a LOT that my physics classes did not cover. (Such as everything I know about Op-Amps) Recently I have been using a circuit simulators (Yenka and SolveElec) to expedite my circuit experience and help me learn. I can make circuits a lot faster and don't need to buy the parts. Granted it isn't as pleasurable to complete the circuit in the simulator but it has saved me a lot of parts that I would have accidentally burned out! :]

Hello Again X ...

That experience will be helpful, perhaps review some undergrad texts, and take some self tests to get a feel for what may be on the qual exams. Also - OP-Amps are good to know, but undergrads are taught HOW they work(internally), this uses some of the circuit tricks that are to be experienced. ( I have of course long forgotten this BTW)

As for the simulators - I suggest getting LTSpice - it's free from Linear Tech., Spice is de rigueur for EEs.

Thanks again!

Related to Prepare for Ph.D Qualifying Exam in Electrical Engineering

1. What is the purpose of a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering?

The purpose of a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering is to assess a student's understanding and mastery of fundamental concepts and principles in the field. It also serves as a benchmark for determining a student's readiness to conduct independent research and pursue a Ph.D degree.

2. How should I prepare for a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering?

Preparation for a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering should involve a thorough review of core courses and topics, as well as advanced knowledge in a specific research area. It is also important to practice solving problems and discussing research ideas with peers and mentors.

3. What is the format of a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering?

The format of a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering may vary depending on the institution and program. However, it typically involves a written exam and an oral exam, where students are required to present and defend their research proposal or answer questions from a panel of faculty members.

4. How long does it take to prepare for a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering?

The preparation time for a Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering can vary for each student. It usually takes at least several months to a year of focused studying and research preparation, although some students may need more time.

5. What happens if I fail the Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering?

If a student fails the Ph.D qualifying exam in electrical engineering, they may be given a chance to retake the exam after a certain period of time. However, if they continue to fail, they may be dismissed from the Ph.D program. It is important to communicate with the exam committee and seek guidance from mentors for improvement before retaking the exam.