Prepare for College Life with Physics Quiz

• Testing
  • Thread starter Saif Almazrouei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, it sounds like this is something that is done in some US colleges and universities to help students prepare for lectures. It sounds like it's a reading quiz, which is sometimes used to make sure that students have read enough material to prepare for the lecture. This quiz can count for a small part of the final grade, but is not always very clear or helpful.
Saif Almazrouei
Hey, i have question, i am in a year to prepare us for us college life, and in our physics class the teacher say we should read a chapter then take a quiz in it then he gove us a lecture in it. So is it the system in the us?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saif Almazrouei said:
Hey, i have question, i am in a year to prepare us for us college life, and in our physics class the teacher say we should read a chapter then take a quiz in it then he gove us a lecture in it. So is it the system in the us?

It's good practice to have read the material before lecture, yes. Is it normal to do a quiz beforehand? No, although people do work some of the problem sets on their own beforehand to have better questions for the lecturer.

Does every student do this? Nope. Should they? Probably.

Just FYI, this doesn't absolve the lecturer from lecturing on the material, although some less than capable professors seem to think it does.

It sounds like something like a "reading quiz", which is sometimes used by professors to make sure that the students have read enough to prepare for the lecture.

Dishsoap said:
It sounds like something like a "reading quiz", which is sometimes used by professors to make sure that the students have read enough to prepare for the lecture.

I've never heard of that, but I can see it being done in someplace.

Student100 said:
I've never heard of that, but I can see it being done in someplace.

Really? Interesting, I had always thought it to be rather common. This was done in my Physics II and math methods courses. Of course the quizzes were always supremely vague and didn't encourage any actual understanding, it basically required that you opened the textbook for 0.0005 seconds before going to lecture. I'm not sure if that's what the OP is referring to, though.

I don't know how common it is, but I've seen it discussed in physics education journals, one of my colleagues used it regularly, and I tried it myself in one course, although not in every lecture.

Dishsoap said:
it basically required that you opened the textbook for 0.0005 seconds before going to lecture.

That's basically it. The idea is to encourage students to look at the assigned reading before the lecture. One can't expect deep understanding from such reading (at least not in the US), so the questions are such that anyone who has at least skimmed over the reading can be expected to answer them. The average score for these quizzes counts for a small part of the final grade. I think I used something like 10%, or maybe less. (This was several years ago.)

Interesting, I'm surprised I never encountered it.

Saif Almazrouei said:
Our teacher does this for our solid state Physics class, this is in Mexico. I would think it's a fairly popular teaching technique.

Related to Prepare for College Life with Physics Quiz

What is the purpose of the "Prepare for College Life with Physics Quiz"?

The purpose of the quiz is to help students prepare for college life by testing their knowledge and understanding of physics concepts.

Who can take the "Prepare for College Life with Physics Quiz"?

Anyone who is interested in improving their understanding of physics and preparing for college can take the quiz.

How will the quiz help me prepare for college life?

The quiz will test your knowledge of physics, which is a subject that is often required for college-level courses. By taking the quiz, you can identify areas where you may need to improve and focus your studying accordingly.

Is the quiz only for students interested in science or physics majors?

No, the quiz is designed for anyone who is preparing for college life and wants to improve their understanding of physics. It can be beneficial for students in any major as physics concepts are often applied across various fields of study.

How can I access the "Prepare for College Life with Physics Quiz"?

The quiz can be accessed online through a computer or mobile device. It is available for free and can be taken at any time that is convenient for you.