Prep for PDEs: Math Staple Requirements

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of differential equations (DEs) and the preparation needed to understand and tackle partial differential equations (PDEs). The speaker expresses their interest in DEs and their desire to learn more about PDEs. They ask for advice on the math preparation needed before attempting to tackle PDEs, and mention their current understanding of analysis and linear algebra. The conversation then delves into the methods used to solve PDEs, including analytical solutions and numerical methods. The speaker also mentions the importance of programming in solving PDEs and suggests studying C++ as a way to prepare. The conversation ends with a discussion on advanced mathematics courses that could be beneficial for tackling PDEs.
l'Hôpital
DEs in general are something that I find very interesting. Though my knowledge of DEs are very rudimentary to say the least, I find them fascinating. In particular, I want to learn about PDEs and obtain a deeper understanding for ODEs.

My question is, then, what kind of math preparation would I need before attempting to tackle PDEs? Currently, I'm trying to at least obtain a basic understanding Analysis (reading some Spivak as well as other things to get my proof skills up). I've also got a basic understanding of Linear Algebra. How far in advanced mathematics must I be to truly be ready for PDEs? Must I have completed most of the Math 'staples' (Abstract algebra, Topology, analysis) before tackling PDEs?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with most real world PDE's is that they have no closed form analytical solution. Therefore, they have to be solved numerically and that involves computer programming. So if I were you I would take some time to study C++.

ODE is a must.

I haven't studied PDEs,
but for analytical solutions, separations of variables is usually used.

As for numeric methods Wikipedia provides quite an extensive list of methods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pics#Numerical_partial_differential_equations

For fundamentals I'd consider, programing (c++ and/or FORTRAN), linear algebra, vector calculus, tensor calculus, and any numeric analysis .

For real advanced mathematics, a course on fractals could be interesting as a possible method to deal with cases, where there will be non negligible dynamics on all scales. For instance in Navier Stokes equations, you can have turbulence on multiple scales, people try and account for this by adding a fudge factor to the viscountcy.

Then consider application courses that are computationally oriented toward solving some class of of PDEs (e.g. computational fluid mechanics) or that involve extensive USE of a lot of vector and tensor calculus.

lol what are you guys talking about. this guy's essentially asking what he needs to know to take an undergrad course in pdes and you guys are telling him he needs to be an applied mathematician.

to study pdes at an undergrad level you need calculus and odes. i just finished the first semester of a 2 semester pdes class and the only we trick we repeatedly used is integration by parts.

we used walter strauss's book which is ok but i don't have any other suggestions.

Related to Prep for PDEs: Math Staple Requirements

1. What are the basic requirements for preparing for PDEs (Partial Differential Equations) in mathematics?

The basic requirements for preparing for PDEs in mathematics include a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also important to have knowledge of basic mathematical concepts such as vectors, matrices, and functions.

2. Is it necessary to have programming skills for PDEs?

While programming skills are not a requirement for studying PDEs, they can be extremely useful in solving complex problems and visualizing solutions. Familiarity with a programming language such as Python or MATLAB can be beneficial for PDEs studies.

3. What are some recommended resources for preparing for PDEs?

Some recommended resources for preparing for PDEs include textbooks such as "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow and online courses such as "Introduction to Partial Differential Equations" by Coursera. Additionally, attending lectures or seeking help from a professor or tutor can also be helpful.

4. What are some common challenges in studying PDEs?

Some common challenges in studying PDEs include understanding the underlying theory and concepts, as well as developing the ability to solve complex problems using various techniques. It can also be challenging to visualize and interpret solutions to PDEs.

5. How can I improve my understanding of PDEs?

To improve your understanding of PDEs, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with different solution methods. Additionally, seeking help from a professor or tutor, discussing concepts with peers, and attending lectures or workshops can also be beneficial. It is also important to have a strong foundation in the prerequisite subjects and to continuously review and reinforce your knowledge of them.