Preliminary Design Analysis of Landing Struts for a Light Aircraft, Please help

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with an assignment and asking for help. They are unsure about the order of steps and have attempted some calculations but are unsure of their accuracy. Another student joins in and suggests considering the direction of friction force and the possibility of a worse case scenario. The original student is not sure if the assignment requires a worse case scenario to be considered. Another student from the same course is also struggling and asks for updates on progress.
WetFork

Homework Statement

Hey, I'm struggling beyond belief with this assignment, one of the attached pdf's is the question and the variables given. What I'm struggling with most is what order I'm meant to do things in, I think I've got the start of it sussed but beyond that I'm clueless I've got many pages of random calculations but I'm not sure if any are correct.

Homework Equations

On PDF

The Attempt at a Solution

There are a couple of pages that I've done attached, literally have no idea if what I'm doing is correct though

Any help would be much appreciated... I'm desperate!

Attachments

• Assignment 2012.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 207
  • MechTechCalcs1.pdf
    929.4 KB · Views: 239
  • MechTechCalcs2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
Physics news on Phys.org
Not really my field but have you got the direction right for the friction force? At touch down the wheels will be pushed outwards so I expected friction to act inwards?

Edit: or are they concerned about the worse case where the aircraft is landing with side slip/crabbing? In which case you are probably right.

Hmm I'm not to sure if they are concerned with a worse case scenario, it'd make sense to me just to be safe side of things.

Hi WetFork. I am a second year SHU student on the same assignment as you. Has anyone on your course got any further with this?

Hello there,

I understand that you are struggling with your assignment on the preliminary design analysis of landing struts for a light aircraft. It can be overwhelming to figure out the correct order of steps and to ensure that your calculations are accurate. I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and following a systematic approach.

Firstly, make sure you fully understand the problem statement and the given variables. Then, start by identifying the key equations that are relevant to the problem. Make sure to double-check the units and dimensions of each variable to ensure they are consistent. This will help you avoid any mistakes in your calculations.

Next, I would recommend creating a flowchart or outline to map out the steps you need to take and the order in which you need to do them. This will help you stay organized and on track.

As you work through the problem, it is important to constantly check and verify your calculations. If you are unsure about a particular step or result, don't hesitate to reach out for help or consult additional resources. It is always better to take the time to double-check your work rather than moving forward with potentially incorrect calculations.

Lastly, I would suggest reviewing your final solution to ensure it makes logical sense and is consistent with the initial problem statement. If there are any discrepancies or uncertainties, make sure to address them and provide explanations or justifications for your decisions.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember, it is always important to approach problems like this with a systematic and organized mindset. Don't hesitate to seek help or clarification when needed. Good luck with your assignment!

Related to Preliminary Design Analysis of Landing Struts for a Light Aircraft, Please help

What is the purpose of "Preliminary Design Analysis of Landing Struts for a Light Aircraft"?

The purpose of this analysis is to determine the optimal design for the landing struts of a light aircraft in terms of performance, safety, and cost. It involves evaluating different design options and selecting the most suitable one for the specific aircraft.

What factors are considered in the design analysis of landing struts for a light aircraft?

The design analysis takes into account various factors such as the weight and size of the aircraft, the expected landing impact forces, the materials and components used, and the environmental conditions the aircraft will operate in. It also considers regulatory requirements and industry standards.

How is the performance of landing struts evaluated in the design analysis?

The performance of landing struts is evaluated through simulations and calculations that assess their ability to withstand the expected landing forces, absorb shock, and provide stability during takeoff and landing. Real-world testing may also be conducted to validate the design.

What are the safety considerations in the design analysis of landing struts?

Safety is a crucial aspect of designing landing struts for aircraft. The analysis looks at potential failure points and risks, such as structural failure or loss of control, and ensures that the design can withstand these scenarios. It also considers emergency landing procedures and the potential impact on passengers and crew.

How does cost factor into the design analysis of landing struts for a light aircraft?

The cost of the landing struts is an essential consideration in the design analysis. The analysis aims to find a balance between performance, safety, and cost, ensuring that the chosen design is not only efficient but also cost-effective for the specific aircraft. It may involve comparing different materials and manufacturing methods to determine the most economical option.