How much looting would you permit yourself?

• News
  • Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of looting in a post-Saddam Iraq. The participants agree that looting is a natural response to the overthrow of a dictator, but they also distinguish between looting for profit and looting as a form of rebellion and enjoyment. They also discuss the importance of distinguishing between looting and vandalism, as well as the potential consequences of mob violence. Some participants argue that the looting of government ministries may have been a strategic move by the Baath Party to destroy incriminating documents. The conversation also touches on the looting of the Iraqi museums and the potential loss of valuable artifacts from human history. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities and emotions surrounding looting in a time of revolution.
N_Quire
If I imagine I'm an Iraqi in post-Saddam mode, I can see myself joyfully participating in the looting of his palaces and Baath party offices and ministries. I can even see myself smashing stautes of the "great" leader, taking a leak on his office floor, making off with a bag of $100 bills I'd found in his son's luxury apartment.

But there is no way I could bring myself to steal light bulbs from hospitals, nor food from shops (unless my family was starving), nor even smash pottery in the museum.

I would be a responsible looter in other words.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's all nice to say now, but can you really do that with such restraint in reality? Never underestimate the capability of mob violence to get rapidly out of hand...

I'd distiguish between looting and vandalism. I'd get things I could use.

Also, after a couple days of chaos I'd call my workers union and suggest to go to restablish the water & electricite services &c. If only to avoid another dictator coming "to put order".

But I'd enjoy looting. We did it once, after a old aunt died without a will. All the family went to remove every corner of the house, looking for lost money &c. Myself I got a comic book my aunt read me.

Originally posted by arivero
I'd distiguish between looting and vandalism. I'd get things I could use...But I'd enjoy looting. We did it once, after a old aunt died without a will. All the family went to remove every corner of the house, looking for lost money &c. Myself I got a comic book my aunt read me.
I would distinguish too, but I think in the opposite way. Iraqis are looting because they are poor. I doubt they take much enjoyment from that fact. But they do (and I would) seem to take much enjoyment from vandalizing - when the vandalism is directed at symbols of Saddam's regime.

People are social animals. Put them together, let a few break out in laughter and soon everyone is laughing. I think it is something akin to a feeding frenzy that sharks are noted for engaging in (I think they even bite each other sometimes while they are at it). Break a window, let off some steam, pocket something for your own personal greed, go a little bit crazy, live a little…haha.
I imagine there would be a powerful urge to join in the festivities and perhaps the best way for avoiding your own involvement would be to lock yourself in a room and wait until it ended ‘cause if you get started you may not be able to stop. Why should the others have all the fun?
Did not people loot in Los Angeles during some rioting they had over there some years ago? How poor were these people and did they take delight in the destruction they were causing?

I don't know..I think some folks were looting for profit, and others were looting because they are angry.

There must be lots of emotions at play, add to them poverty, follow the pack mentality, thieving and gangterism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by russ_watters
Iraqis are looting because they are poor. I doubt they take much enjoyment from that fact. But they do (and I would) seem to take much enjoyment from vandalizing - when the vandalism is directed at symbols of Saddam's regime.

A deep point you are doing. Should the Revolution be an enjoyable event? At the current status, it seems that only a few theoreticians would get enjoyment of the looting, while most people will need other sources of joy, such as vandalism. Not very optimistic, this.

If the IRAQI people are smart , they should especially return all the items that were looted from the museums. This can be reffered to during the french revolution when the French people after looting the Palace of Versailles , return all the items , even though most of them were very valuble. This move was a smart move on the part of the French people of the time because it ultimately helped them preserve their past and encourage a sense of nationalism which helped them through WWI and WWII.

Most of these items from the Iraqi museums are not only from the Iraqi people's history but from human history as many of the artifacts looted were from the Babylonian and Assyrian time , who were one of the first people in the world to establish a civilization.

Supposedly it's looking like the museum looting was a professional job.

I wonder how many of the stolen artifacts will eventually end up on the Upper East Side...

The looting of government ministries might also have had a Baath Party component, destroying documents about Iraq's weapons programs. Another reason why this problem should have been thought of in advance. It wasn't enough to guard the ministry of oil.

^^^ ? If Ba'ath wanted to destroy its documents on weapons programs, they had a loong time to do it.

Originally posted by damgo
^^^ ? If Ba'ath wanted to destroy its documents on weapons programs, they had a loong time to do it.
Fortunately for us, criminal dictators generally keep copious records. I don't understand why, but they feel the need to thorougly document their crimes.

1. How does looting affect the economy?

Looting can have a negative impact on the economy as it disrupts businesses and causes damage to properties. It can also lead to loss of jobs and decrease in consumer spending, which can ultimately slow down economic growth.

2. Is looting a victimless crime?

No, looting is not a victimless crime. The actions of looters can harm innocent individuals who are affected by the destruction of their property or livelihood. It can also put the safety of others at risk, including law enforcement and first responders.

3. Are there any circumstances where looting is justified?

As a scientist, I cannot speak on the morality of looting. However, from a legal standpoint, looting is never justified. It is a criminal act and those who participate in it can face serious consequences.

4. What factors contribute to looting during a crisis?

Several factors can contribute to looting during a crisis, including social and economic inequality, lack of resources and access to basic necessities, breakdown of law and order, and desperation for survival. The specific circumstances and context of each crisis may also play a role in instigating looting behavior.

5. How can looting be prevented?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to preventing looting, as it is a complex issue influenced by many factors. However, measures such as increasing security and law enforcement presence, providing aid and resources to those in need, and addressing underlying social and economic issues can help reduce the likelihood of looting during a crisis.

Back