Predicting Output from Triple Module Redundancy System

• Thread starter aceminer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    module
In summary, the conversation discusses a system with triple module redundancy, where each module is configured to calculate the same function on a 16-bit input. The output of the system is given, and the question asks for the most likely correct output based on the assumption that zero errors happen most of the time, one error happens rarely, and two or more errors happen almost never. Additionally, there is a discussion on the type of gate used in the system and why it is important to consider.
aceminer
Code:
Referring to figure Q5, which shows triplemodule
redundancy, assume that each module is configured to
calculate the same function y=f(x) on 16bit
input word x. Without knowing what is the value of x, and without
knowing the exact function f() that each module implements, determine the most likely correct output from
this system given the following information:
Output a=0001 1010 1111 1011
Output b=0010 1101 0000 0111
Output c=1000 0111 0000 1101

Hi guys, can someone explain to me what is going on. I have no clue of what does the question want. I am unable to copy down the diagram. But each module is connected to an AND gate.

Such that a AND b, b AND c, a AND c

and I would have to tell which is the correct output.

Computer science news on Phys.org
With triple modular redundancy they assume:
zero errors happen most of the time,
one error happens rarely and
two or more errors happen almost never, you sometimes or often assume this never happens.

So if you look at your outputs I think you should be trying to look at each column.
If you do that and you use the assumptions above then what do you get?

Different issue, are you sure those are AND gates and not XOR or XNOR gates?
You might want to think why I would ask a question like that.

Related to Predicting Output from Triple Module Redundancy System

What is triple module redundancy?

Triple module redundancy (TMR) is a fault-tolerant technique used in electronic systems to ensure reliability and prevent failures. It involves the use of three identical modules, with each module performing the same function. In case one module fails, the other two can still function, providing a backup and preventing system failure.

How does triple module redundancy work?

TMR works by using a voting mechanism to compare the outputs of the three modules. If all three outputs are the same, the system assumes that the output is correct and continues to function as normal. However, if one module produces a different output, it is considered faulty and is isolated from the system, while the other two modules continue to function.

What are the benefits of triple module redundancy?

One of the main benefits of TMR is its ability to provide fault-tolerance and ensure system reliability. By using three redundant modules, the system has a backup in case one module fails. This helps to prevent system downtime and costly repairs. TMR also improves system performance and can detect errors that would otherwise go unnoticed.

What are the limitations of triple module redundancy?

Although TMR is an effective fault-tolerant technique, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is the cost involved in implementing three identical modules. This can be expensive, especially for larger systems. Additionally, TMR cannot protect against all types of failures, such as software errors or human error.

Where is triple module redundancy commonly used?

TMR is commonly used in critical systems where failure can have severe consequences, such as in aerospace, military, and medical applications. It is also used in high-performance systems, such as supercomputers, where reliability is essential. TMR can also be found in everyday devices, such as smartphones and laptops, to improve their reliability.