Predict Boiling Points of Molecules: CH_{3}F, C_{2}H_{6}, CH_{3}OH, C_{2}H_{4}

In summary, the predicted order of boiling points, from highest to lowest, for the given molecules is: CH3OH, C2H4, C2H6, CH3F. This is due to the presence of hydrogen bonding in methanol and the higher electronegativity of the double bond in C2H4 compared to the larger size of C2H6 and CH3F.
temaire

Homework Statement

For the following molecules, predict the order of their boiling points from highest to lowest.

1. [tex]CH_{3}F[/tex]
2. [tex]C_{2}H_{6}[/tex]
3. [tex]CH_{3}OH[/tex]
4. [tex]C_{2}H_{4}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is 3 4 2 1. I put 3 first because it is an alcohol and has hydrogen bonding. I put 4 second because it has a double bond. I put 2 third becuase although it has the same amount of electrons as [tex]CH_{3}F[/tex] it is a larger molecule. Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that methanol has the highest boiling point. As for the other 3 choices, rethink them. Why else (besides the extra small weight) makes the alkene have a higher boiling point? Compare that to electronegativity. Which factor's more important?

Your reasoning is mostly correct. The boiling point of a molecule is determined by its intermolecular forces, which are affected by factors such as molecular size, polarity, and hydrogen bonding. Based on this, the predicted order of boiling points for the given molecules would be:

1. CH3OH - This molecule has the strongest intermolecular forces due to its ability to form hydrogen bonds between the oxygen and hydrogen atoms.
2. C2H6 - Although this molecule is larger than CH3F, it does not have any polar bonds or hydrogen bonding, so its boiling point would be lower than CH3OH.
3. C2H4 - This molecule has a double bond, which creates some polarity, but it is still relatively small and does not have any hydrogen bonding, so its boiling point would be lower than CH3OH and C2H6.
4. CH3F - This molecule is the smallest and has no polar bonds or hydrogen bonding, so it would have the lowest boiling point of the four molecules.

Overall, your ranking is correct, but it is important to consider all relevant factors when predicting the boiling points of molecules.

Related to Predict Boiling Points of Molecules: CH_{3}F, C_{2}H_{6}, CH_{3}OH, C_{2}H_{4}

1. How do you predict the boiling points of molecules?

The boiling point of a molecule is determined by its intermolecular forces, which are affected by the size, shape, and polarity of the molecule. Smaller molecules tend to have lower boiling points, while larger molecules with more polar bonds tend to have higher boiling points.

2. What is the relationship between molecular weight and boiling point?

Generally, as the molecular weight of a molecule increases, so does its boiling point. This is because larger molecules have more electrons, resulting in stronger intermolecular forces.

3. How does polarity affect the boiling point of a molecule?

Polarity plays a significant role in determining boiling point. Polar molecules have dipole-dipole interactions, which are stronger than the London dispersion forces in nonpolar molecules. Therefore, polar molecules have higher boiling points than nonpolar molecules of similar size.

4. Why do CH3F and CH3OH have different boiling points?

CH3F and CH3OH have different boiling points because they have different intermolecular forces. CH3F is a nonpolar molecule with only London dispersion forces, while CH3OH is a polar molecule with both dipole-dipole interactions and hydrogen bonding. This results in CH3OH having a higher boiling point than CH3F.

5. How do you compare the boiling points of C2H6 and C2H4?

C2H6 and C2H4 have different boiling points because C2H6 is a nonpolar molecule with only London dispersion forces, while C2H4 is a polar molecule with both dipole-dipole interactions and London dispersion forces. Therefore, C2H4 has a higher boiling point than C2H6 due to the presence of stronger intermolecular forces.