Precursor to brachistochrone problem

In summary, this question is asking about the total derivative of a function, and how to find it if it is not given. If the function is given in terms of dy/dx and v, then the total derivative is given by H = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 - V(x)
stunner5000pt
Another long question but not that hard. Most of the writing is my work/questions
According to my prof if i cna solve this... the resulting relation can be used to solve Bernoulli's problem

For [tex] \delta \int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} F(x,y(x),\dot{y}(x)) dx = 0 [/tex]
where [tex] \dot{y} = \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]
Show that if [itex] F = F(y,\dot{y}) [/itex] only (not dependant of x explicitly) then the quantity
[tex] H = \dot{y} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y}} - F [/tex]
is a constant. That is [itex] \frac{dH}{dx} = 0 [/itex].

is this the total derivative (like it asks) of H wrt x? Since F does depend on y and y dot... which depend on x... then would hteir derivatives wrt x be included in the rightmost expression below?
[tex] \frac{dH}{dx} = \frac{d \dot{y}}{dx} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y}} + \dot{y} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y} dx} - \frac{dF}{dx} [/tex
is this true >> [tex] \frac{d \dot{y}}{\partial \dot{y}} =1 [/tex] ??
in that case all we're left with (if the dH/dx is correct) is
[tex] \frac{dH}{dx} = \dot{y} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y} dx} [/tex]
if i were to differentiate the expression for F
[tex] \delta \int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} F(x,y(x),\dot{y}(x)) dx = 0 [/tex]
wrt to y dot and x i would get zero, yes?
SO dH/dx = 0?

Determine the expression for H if F = 1/2 mv^2 - V(x) and explain the physical significance of this quantity.
is this correct? chain rule application everywhere
[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{y}} = m \dot{x} \frac{d \dot{x}}{d \dot{y}} - \frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{y}} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \dot{y}} [/tex]

then [tex] H = \dot{y} m \dot{x} \frac{d \dot{x}}{d \dot{y}} - \frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{y}} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \dot{y}} - \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) [/tex]

the physical significance... hmm ...
H is a consnat quantity wrt x. But I am not sure how to interpret this past that part.

Please help! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You are asked for the total derivative and you can show that it will reduce to the partial derivative (the two extra terms : [itex]\dot{y}\partial H/\partial y} + \ddot{y}\partial H/\partial{\dot{y} [/itex] will cancel off) which is clearly = 0.

2. You've started off on the wrong foot...

First notice that F = F(x, dx/dt), since v=dx/dt

So, [tex] H = \dot{x} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{x}} - F [/tex]

When you do it correctly, the physical significance will pop right out !

where did you get [itex]\dot{y}\partial H/\partial y} + \ddot{y}\partial H/\partial{\dot{y} [/itex] from?

also domnt u mena F(y,dy/dt)? Or do you actually mean it for x?
The former is in the question...

stunner5000pt said:
where did you get [itex]\dot{y}\partial H/\partial y} + \ddot{y}\partial H/\partial{\dot{y} [/itex] from?
[tex]dH/dx = \partial H/\partial x + (\partial H/\partial y)dy/dx + (\partial H/\partial\dot{y}) d\dot{y}/dx [/tex]

also domnt u mena F(y,dy/dt)? Or do you actually mean it for x?
The former is in the question...
No, it's the latter which is in the question. What you are given in part 1 is the general form in terms of some general parameters. In part 2, you are given :

[tex]F(x,\dot{x}) = \frac{1}{2}m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) [/tex]

where [itex]\dot{x} = dx/dt[/itex]

Last edited:
That H is a constant ON the equations of motion !

That is

[tex] \frac{dH}{dx}= - \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{\delta F}{\delta y} [/tex]

,where [itex] \frac{\delta F}{\delta y} [/itex] is the Euler-Lagrange (variational) derivative of the lagrangian.

Daniel.

also in this question... what is the partial derivative of F wrt x zero? Is it because the action is zero?

for hte second one since [tex] F = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) [/tex]
then
[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{x}} = m \dot{x} + \frac{\partial V}{\partail \dot{x}} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \dot{x}} [/tex] ...(1 )

so far so good?
im just wondering if the partial of V wrt to x dot is zero becuase V would not depend on x dot because of its definition?
[tex] F(x,\dot{x}) = - \nabla V(x) [/tex] ?
so then when i sub 1 into the expression for H
[tex] H = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 - V(x) [/tex] this is given that the partial of V wrt x dot is zero. THis means that H is the force exerted on the particle? Doesnt this mean that H is invariant of F, for a potential that does not depend on the time deriavitve of x?

stunner5000pt said:
im just wondering if the partial of V wrt to x dot is zero becuase V would not depend on x dot because of its definition?
Correct. But there's a sign mistake in the solution. The sign of V in F(x,v) has been changed (looks like I made that mistake in my previous post - sorry !)

PS : No time to look at the rest now.

Last edited:
Correction to the mistake

so the expression for H (the hamiltonian, apparently)
[tex] H = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + V(x) = T + V = E [/tex]

Thus H represents the total energy of the system.

Related to Precursor to brachistochrone problem

1. What is the precursor to the brachistochrone problem?

The precursor to the brachistochrone problem is the tautochrone problem, which deals with finding the curve that a particle will follow to reach a fixed end point in the shortest amount of time under the influence of gravity.

2. Who first studied the precursor to the brachistochrone problem?

The tautochrone problem was first studied by mathematician and physicist Christiaan Huygens in the 17th century.

3. How is the precursor to the brachistochrone problem related to the brachistochrone problem?

The brachistochrone problem is an extension of the tautochrone problem, where instead of finding the curve that minimizes time, the curve must also pass through a specific point.

4. What is the significance of the precursor to the brachistochrone problem?

The study of the tautochrone problem laid the foundation for the development of the calculus of variations, a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution for a given problem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the precursor to the brachistochrone problem?

Yes, the tautochrone problem has been used in the design of roller coasters and other amusement park rides to ensure a smooth and efficient journey for passengers.