Precession of 1/2 spin particle

In summary, the distance a particle travels through a uniform magnetic field depends on the time the particle spends in the field.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

A beam of spin 1/2 particles with speed v passes through a series of SGz devices. The first SGz device transmits particles with Sz = ħ/2 and filters out particles with Sz=-ħ/2. The second SGz device transmits particles with Sz=-ħ/2 and filters out particles of Sz=ħ/2. Between the two devices is a region of length l in which there is a uniform magnetic field B pointing in the x-direction. Determine the smallest value of l such that exactly 25% of the particles transmitted by the first SGz Device are transmitted by the second device. Express your result in terms of ω=egB/2mc and v.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because of the way particles are being passed through the two SGz devices doesn't only 25% of the particles pass through the second device regardless of the distance between the SGz devices?
I know that's not exactly right but I'm failing understand why it's not right.
I've been pulling my hair out. I have no idea where this 'l' variable is coming from.
Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you're not thinking of the B field in the x direction as acting like a SGx device.

I don't think I'm thinking of it as an SGx device. So the magnetic field just changes the spin over time, right? But that's for B in the z-direction. Does B in the X-direction do the same thing?

nmsurobert said:
So the magnetic field just changes the spin over time, right? But that's for B in the z-direction. Does B in the X-direction do the same thing?
As the particle passes through the Bx field, the field alters the spin state of the particle. You need to know specifically what the Bx field does to the spin state. The net change in the spin state due to the Bx field depends on how much time the particle spends in the field. That's why the distance L matters.

Ok. I understand why it's important. Butbim having trouble finding an 'l' anywhere in my book or notes. I don't know where the variable is supposed to be derived from.
Is 'l' an angle? That's all I can find in relation to the equations given at the end of the problem.

Thank you for your help thus far btw.

nmsurobert said:
Ok. I understand why it's important. Butbim having trouble finding an 'l' anywhere in my book or notes. I don't know where the variable is supposed to be derived from.
Is 'l' an angle? That's all I can find in relation to the equations given at the end of the problem.
In this font, lower case L looks too much like upper case I. Is it OK if we use 'L' instead of 'l' for the distance the particle travels through the uniform field Bx? L is not an angle, it's a distance. Can you relate the time, t, that the particle spends in the region of Bx to the distance L?

Well if it's moving at speed v and v = change in distance/time. And L is the distance we're trying to measure. There's a relation I suppose.

As preparation for this problem, you should have studied what happens to the spin of a particle when placed in a uniform magnetic field.

Last edited:

Related to Precession of 1/2 spin particle

What is precession of 1/2 spin particle?

The precession of 1/2 spin particle refers to the phenomenon observed in quantum mechanics where a spin-1/2 particle, such as an electron or proton, will rotate in a magnetic field. This rotation is caused by the magnetic moment of the particle and is described by the laws of quantum mechanics.

How is precession of 1/2 spin particle different from classical precession?

Classical precession refers to the rotation of a spinning object around an external axis, such as a spinning top. In contrast, the precession of 1/2 spin particle is an intrinsic property of the particle and does not require an external axis to rotate around. It is a fundamental quantum mechanical phenomenon and cannot be explained by classical physics.

What causes precession of 1/2 spin particle?

The precession of 1/2 spin particle is caused by the interaction between the particle's magnetic moment and an external magnetic field. This interaction results in a torque being exerted on the particle, causing it to rotate.

What is the significance of precession of 1/2 spin particle?

The precession of 1/2 spin particle has important implications in fields such as quantum computing and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. It also provides insights into the nature of quantum mechanics and the behavior of subatomic particles.

Can the precession of 1/2 spin particle be observed?

Yes, the precession of 1/2 spin particle can be observed in experiments using techniques such as NMR spectroscopy. It is also a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is routinely used in theoretical calculations and models.