Precession: Explaining the Linear Motion of a Spinning Wheel

• Thread starter Kricket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precession
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of precession on a gyroscope, specifically using the example of a spinning bicycle wheel attached to a rope. The main question is why the center of gravity of the wheel moves, and it is suggested that friction in the system and the torque from yawing motion are the factors that keep the wheel upright. It is also mentioned that if the wheel was prevented from yawing, it would pitch down all the way.
Kricket
Probably an easy one...

So, I understand the idea of precession on a gyroscope: we've got the angular velocity vector, the angular momentum vector (same direction but times the inertia tensor), then a torque is applied => change in L in the direction of torque.

I'm thinking of the example where you have the spinning bicycle wheel, with one end of the axle attached to a rope hanging from the ceiling (the axle is horizontal, the wheel vertical). The wheel, instead of falling down, stays upright and rotates around the rope. Let's say the L vector points away from the rope, and the torque vector (caused by the rope's offset from the wheel's center-of-gravity) points perpendicular to the rope and the L vector.

So, as time passes, L moves along in the direction of torque. What I don't understand is, why does the center-of-gravity of the wheel move? It seems to me that since L is basically the axis of rotation, changing L should result in the axis becoming offset from the axle, with the effect that the wheel should start to have an increasingly wobbly spin - but this shouldn't necessarily cause the "body" (the wheel/axis) to move linearly.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the end of the rope being somewhat fixed, but can somebody give me a more robust explanation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's actually a good question. I think it has something to do with friction in the system. From what I understand the wheel/gyroscope wouldn't rotate in a frictionless environment.

Kricket said:
I'm thinking of the example where you have the spinning bicycle wheel, with one end of the axle attached to a rope hanging from the ceiling (the axle is horizontal, the wheel vertical).

Yeah, the evergreen of physics demonstrations. The lecturer has the bicycle wheel initially supported on both ends of the axle, allowing him to spin up the bicycle wheel, and then he removes support from one axle end.

I will borrow some terms from aviation: pitch, roll and yaw. Here, 'yaw' is unambiguous; it's rotation around a vertical axis. (The direction of vertical is set up by gravity.) I will call the spinning of the wheel 'roll', leaving 'pitch' for turn perpendicular to the roll.

What happens at the very instant that the lecturer removes support from one axle end?

The very first thing that happens is that the spinning wheel pitches ever so slightly. The pitching gives rise to a torque at right angles to the pitching: the torque causes yawing motion. The energy to build up the yawing comes from the pitching.

Now, the yawing itself gives rise to a torque just as much. So now there are two counteracting torques: the torque from gravity that tends to pitch the wheel down, and the torque from the yawing motion that tends to pitch the wheel up. Initally the yawing motion is not fast enough to completely counteract the torque from gravity. But very quickly the wheel has pitched enough, and then the torque from the yawing motion opposes torque from gravity precisely.

In the demonstration of the spinning bicycle wheel the yawing motion is the factor that keeps the axle horizontal. (More precisely, the combination of fast spinning and slow yawing gives rise to the required up-pitching torque.)

So what would happen if you would prevent any yaw? What if the wheel is free to roll and pitch, but barred from yawing? Then there is nothing to prevent the wheel from pitching down all the way.

Cleonis

Related to Precession: Explaining the Linear Motion of a Spinning Wheel

1. What is precession?

Precession is the phenomenon where the axis of rotation of a spinning object gradually changes direction. It occurs when a spinning object is subjected to an external force, causing it to rotate around a different axis.

2. How does precession occur?

Precession occurs when a spinning object is subjected to an external torque that is not aligned with its axis of rotation. This torque causes the object's angular momentum to change direction, resulting in precession.

3. What causes precession?

Precession can be caused by a variety of factors, including gravitational forces, torque from an external force, or the conservation of angular momentum. In the case of a spinning wheel, precession is primarily caused by the torque of gravity pulling on the wheel's mass unevenly.

4. What are some real-world examples of precession?

Some common examples of precession include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a gyroscope, and the precession of the Earth's axis. Precession can also be observed in the movement of a spinning wheel, such as a bicycle wheel.

5. How is precession relevant in science and engineering?

Precession is a fundamental concept in physics and is relevant in various fields of science and engineering. It is essential in understanding the motion of rotating objects and is used in designing gyroscopes, satellites, and other devices that rely on stable rotational motion.