AP Calc AB Sample Problem Help (Integration)

In summary, The conversation discusses using a TI-89 calculator to find the value of f(2) given the function f'(x) and f(0). The suggested methods include using numerical integration or local linear approximation to approximate the value. The correct answer is 1.157.
Inspector Gadget
This is on the sample multiple choice questions in the section in which calculators are permitted. I tried it on my TI-89, and it didn't give an answer...just returned what was input with the integral sign and such...

Given that...

[tex]f'(x) = sin(\frac{\pi \times e^x}{2})[/tex]

... and f(0) = 1, find f(2).

Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot...

A.) -1.819
B.) -0.843
C.) -0.819
D.) 0.157
E.) 1.157

Answer: E

Try Numerical Integration... Nint feature that is on the TI 89...

Press f3, alpha, b, OR scroll up until you hit the bottom on the list and find Nint.

Should look like...

Nint((sin(pi*e^x/2),x,0,2) then add f(0) to get f(2)... 1.157

You could also try local linear approximation:

[tex]f(x)\sim f(a)+f^\prime (x)\cdot (x-a)[/tex]

which in this case would boil down to computing

[tex]1+2\sin ({{e^2 \pi}\over {2}} )[/tex]

since your possible answers are all fairly different (hindsight: the correct answer is very different from the others), this estimation should give you a good enough idea to answer the question.

1. What is integration in AP Calculus AB?

Integration in AP Calculus AB is a mathematical concept that involves finding the accumulation of a function's output over a given interval. It is the reverse process of differentiation and is used to calculate the area under a curve.

2. How do I solve an integration problem in AP Calculus AB?

To solve an integration problem in AP Calculus AB, you need to apply integration rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. Then, you can use various techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts, to simplify the problem and find the solution.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the integral over a specific interval, while indefinite integration results in a general solution with a constant of integration. Definite integration is used to calculate area, volume, and other physical quantities, while indefinite integration is used to find the function itself.

4. How can I check if my integration solution is correct?

You can check your integration solution by differentiating it and verifying that it matches the original function. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to graph both the original function and the integrated function and see if they overlap.

5. What are some tips for solving integration problems in AP Calculus AB?

Some tips for solving integration problems in AP Calculus AB include practicing regularly, mastering the basic integration rules, and being familiar with various techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use graphing calculators to visualize the problem and check your solution.