Pre-Med Students and Physicians: How do you work w/tremors?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students Work
In summary: If you are concerned about your ability to perform certain tasks as a surgeon, it's important to address that with a mentor or someone in the field who can offer guidance and advice. It's also important to keep in mind that everyone has different strengths and abilities, and there may be certain techniques or specialties within surgery that would be better suited for someone with tremors. In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of shaking hands for physicians, particularly during surgical procedures. It is mentioned that caffeine intake and proper nutrition can help, but when those fail, techniques such as resting hands on the patient or using one hand to stabilize the other may be used. However, it is advised to discuss any concerns with a mentor or doctor, as well as consider alternative specialties
Medgirl314
I'm curious as to how physicians deal with shaking hands, especially during surgical procedures(minor or major). I'm sure that some of you find watching your caffeine intake and making sure that you eat enough helpful. But when that fails, what techniques do you use to stabilize your hands so that you don't harm your patient?

Thanks so much for answers! I'm going into the medical field and am curious about this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:
I'm curious as to how physicians deal with shaking hands, especially during surgical procedures(minor or major). I'm sure that some of you find watching your caffeine intake and making sure that you eat enough helpful. But when that fails, what techniques do you use to stabilize your hands so that you don't harm your patient?

Thanks so much for answers! I'm going into the medical field and am curious about this topic.

Yeah, shaking hands are bad news. I'm just an EMT (part-time), and I had to give up coffee to be sure that I didn't scare any of my patients. :smile:

There may be some parts of the medical field where a slight shaking of your hands won't be a problem. But for general physicians, nurses, and medics shaking hands would be a show-stopper. You can't be handling sharps with shaking hands...

You should talk with your doctor to see if there may be some treatments or RX drugs that can help to address this issue. Your doctor can do some tests on you to determine the source of the problem, and suggest possible avenues of treatment. Good luck! :smile:

@berkeman - Thank you! I'm earning my EMT certification this spring, and I expect that it won't be a major problem. However, I'm going to become a trauma surgeon-I have a few years to figure it out, but it's a concern. I know the cause, and it's pretty difficult to treat, so I'm looking more for ways to work around it. For example, I've heard that resting your hands on the patient instead of holding them up can help, or using one hand to stabilize the other. I should have been more specific. But thank you so much for the reply! :)

Medgirl314 said:
I'm going to become a trauma surgeon-I have a few years to figure it out, but it's a concern. I know the cause, and it's pretty difficult to treat, so I'm looking more for ways to work around it. For example, I've heard that resting your hands on the patient instead of holding them up can help, or using one hand to stabilize the other.

You should be talking to a surgeon about this right now. Do not commit yourself to a pre-,med program without having solved your problem. Even an internist might find tremors a problem.. Patients might interpret the shaking as nervousness which does not foster good patient physician rapport. Surgeons need quick, , accurate hand and finger motion

Yeah, you don't want to be nicknamed "Shaky the Surgeon".

Magnesium? It is a muscle relaxant. I know there are anti tremor medications used for people who take too much lithium, but do you really want to go that route?

Likes Medgirl314
We cannot give medical diagnoses or advice on this forum, if you have a condition along the lines of essential tremor that's something that has to be discussed with a doctor.

Related to Pre-Med Students and Physicians: How do you work w/tremors?

1. How do tremors affect a pre-med student or physician's ability to work?

Tremors can greatly impact a pre-med student or physician's ability to perform tasks that require fine motor skills, such as writing, typing, and performing delicate procedures. It can also make it difficult to hold and manipulate instruments, which can directly affect their ability to perform medical procedures.

2. Can tremors be managed or treated?

Yes, tremors can be managed or treated through various methods such as medication, physical therapy, and lifestyle changes. It is important for pre-med students and physicians to work closely with their healthcare providers to determine the best course of treatment for their specific case.

3. Are there any accommodations for pre-med students or physicians with tremors?

Yes, there are accommodations that can be made for pre-med students and physicians with tremors. These may include using assistive devices or technology, modifying work tasks, or adjusting work schedules. It is important for individuals to communicate their needs and work with their supervisors or educators to find suitable accommodations.

4. How do tremors impact a pre-med student or physician's mental and emotional well-being?

Tremors can have a significant impact on an individual's mental and emotional well-being. It can cause feelings of frustration, embarrassment, and even anxiety. Pre-med students and physicians with tremors may also face challenges in their personal and professional relationships. Seeking support from mental health professionals can be beneficial in managing these emotions.

5. Can pre-med students or physicians with tremors still have successful careers?

Yes, individuals with tremors can still have successful careers in the medical field. With proper management and accommodations, pre-med students and physicians can overcome the challenges posed by tremors and excel in their chosen career paths. It is important for them to have a strong support system and to advocate for themselves to ensure their needs are met.