Pre Lab, how to find uncertainty

In summary, the person is stuck on a prelab and needs help finding the uncertainty or standard deviation of Fave. They have tried various resources but have not found a solution. They then ask for clarification on how to calculate the resultant fractional error for multiplication and division. The conversation ends with a suggestion to refer to a summary for calculating uncertainties.
Habibrobert
Hello,

I have been stuck on this prelab all day.I have finished all the questions except for the last one, where it asks you to find the uncertainty (or standard deviation) of Fave. I have tried every resource and nothing has helped so far. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 3.37.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 3.37.26 PM.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 583
Physics news on Phys.org
When you multiply or divide two numbers with fractional error f1 and f2 respectively, what is the resultant fractional error of the product or quotient? (Assuming normal error distributions).

Hello,

I'm really sorry but I don't understand what you mean?

Habibrobert said:
Hello,

I'm really sorry but I don't understand what you mean?

Like, (x +/-Δx) * (y +/-Δy) gives (xy +/- what)?

Annd division is just 1/multiplication so it follows the same rule.

The uncertainty in Fave, ΔFave, divided by the value of Fave (what rude man calls the fractional error) is given by

ΔFave/ Fave = Δ(Δp)/Δp + Δ(Δt)/Δt

where Δ(Δp) is the uncertainty in the change of the momentum and Δ(Δt) is the uncertainty in the time interval - see the summary at the end of
http://www.physics.mcmaster.ca/undergrad/Uncertainties/U.htm

What you need to calculate is then ΔFave.

Related to Pre Lab, how to find uncertainty

1. What is a pre-lab?

A pre-lab is a set of instructions or guidelines that are provided before conducting an experiment in a laboratory setting. It outlines the objectives of the experiment, the materials needed, and the procedures to be followed.

2. Why is it important to find uncertainty in a lab?

Finding uncertainty is crucial in a lab because it helps determine the accuracy and precision of the experimental results. It allows scientists to understand the potential errors and limitations of their measurements, which is essential for drawing valid conclusions.

3. How can I calculate uncertainty in a lab?

To find uncertainty, you can use a variety of methods such as taking multiple measurements, using statistical analysis, or following specific formulas depending on the type of measurement being made. Consult your lab manual or instructor for guidance on the most appropriate method for your experiment.

4. What factors can affect uncertainty in a lab?

Several factors can impact uncertainty in a lab, including the precision of the measuring instrument, the skill of the experimenter, and the conditions in which the experiment is conducted. Other sources of uncertainty may include human error, equipment limitations, and environmental factors.

5. How can I minimize uncertainty in my lab results?

To reduce uncertainty in your lab results, it is essential to follow proper experimental techniques and procedures, use precise measuring instruments, and take multiple measurements. It is also crucial to identify and account for potential sources of error and to repeat the experiment to verify the results.