Pre-calculus or calculus before physics?

In summary, pre-calculus and calculus are two branches of mathematics that are closely related. Pre-calculus serves as a foundation for calculus, which is a more advanced branch that deals with complex topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is highly recommended to take pre-calculus before calculus, as it provides the necessary background knowledge and skills. While it is possible to skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus, it is not recommended unless you have a strong background in mathematics. Pre-calculus and calculus are also essential in understanding and solving problems in physics, and have numerous real-world applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and statistics.
Vola
Gold Member
I,m self-studying math and physics as my hobby.
Should I finish pre-calculus and calculus before I start basic physics or I can learn them simultaneously?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick answer: Yes

While you can study and understand the simplistic methods of all Physics without any math, even Newton's laws require at LEAST a GOOD knowledge of single variable calculus, trigonometry, and algebra. Anything more advanced likely requires substantial skill in differential equations, vector algebra and calculus, and linear algebra to start.

Related to Pre-calculus or calculus before physics?

1. What is the difference between pre-calculus and calculus?

Pre-calculus is a course that covers topics such as algebra, functions, trigonometry, and basic calculus concepts. It serves as a foundation for calculus, which is a more advanced branch of mathematics that deals with limits, derivatives, integrals, and other complex topics.

2. Do I need to take pre-calculus before calculus?

It is highly recommended to take pre-calculus before calculus, as it provides the necessary background knowledge and skills needed to understand calculus concepts. Without a strong foundation in pre-calculus, students may struggle with understanding and applying calculus concepts.

3. Can I skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus?

It is possible to skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus, but this is not recommended unless you have a strong background in mathematics and are comfortable with advanced algebra and trigonometry concepts.

4. How does pre-calculus/calculus relate to physics?

Pre-calculus and calculus are essential for understanding and solving problems in physics, as many physical laws and principles are described using mathematical equations. Calculus is especially important in physics, as it allows us to analyze and describe the rate of change of physical quantities.

5. What are some real-world applications of pre-calculus and calculus?

Pre-calculus and calculus have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, calculus is used in designing buildings and bridges, optimizing production processes, and analyzing financial data. Pre-calculus is also used in problem-solving and decision-making in various industries.