Practicing some dilution problems

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, a 13 mL sample of a solution of Pb(ClO3)2 was diluted with water to 21 mL. A 15 mL sample of the dilute solution was found to contain 2.7 moles of Pb2+. The concentration of Pb(ClO3)2 in the original undiluted solution was 2.7 moles per liter.
z-component
I've been practicing some dilution problems from my chemistry book and I can't seem to get some of these down.

A 13 mL sample of a solution of Pb(ClO3)2 was diluted with water to 21 mL. A 15 mL sample of the dilute solution was found to contain 2.7 moles of Pb2+. What was the concentration of Pb(ClO3)2 in the original undiluted solution?

The concentrated solution has a 13 mL sample with an unknown molarity.
The diluted solution has a 15 mL sample with an unknown molarity and a given amount of moles for the Pb ion.

Since the ratio of Pb ions to Pb(ClO3)2 is 1:1, there are also 2.7 moles of Pb(ClO3)2 (I think). I divided 2.7 mol Pb by .015 L (15 mL) and got a molarity of 180 M.

Now since the amount of moles from the concentrated to the diluted solutions has to be the same, I divided 2.7 by .013 L to get 207 M. The correct answer is 290 M. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

It would be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
z-component said:
(snip)Now since the amount of moles from the concentrated to the diluted solutions has to be the same,

Correct
I divided 2.7 by .013 L

Why 2.7 by 0.013? It's wrong, and if you can tell me why you did it, you'll know why it's wrong.

Is it correct to say that 2.7 moles of the solution allow me to directly find the molarity of the solution if I know the volume? That is what I did. Perhaps 2.7 isn't the measure for the entire solution but only the solute.

Don't do that --- "the solution" without referrant, followed by "the solution" without referrrant --- it's called "fishing," and it irritates me.

Sample = 13; dilute to 21; assay of 15 = 2.7; part one of your OP suggests you understand mass balance --- now, do the mass balance for the sample, the dilution, and the assay, and tell me where all the lead from the 13 ml sample is.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Practicing some dilution problems

1. What is the purpose of practicing dilution problems?

The purpose of practicing dilution problems is to develop an understanding of how to accurately calculate and perform dilutions in a laboratory setting. Dilution is a common technique used in science to decrease the concentration of a solution and is essential for many experiments and procedures.

2. How do I know which dilution factor to use?

The dilution factor is determined by the ratio of the final volume of the diluted solution to the initial volume of the concentrated solution. This ratio can be calculated by dividing the final volume by the initial volume. For example, if you want to make a 1:10 dilution, you would mix 1 part of the concentrated solution with 9 parts of a diluent (such as water).

3. What is the equation for calculating dilution problems?

The equation for calculating dilution problems is C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 represents the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. This equation is commonly known as the dilution equation and is used to determine the appropriate volumes of a concentrated solution and a diluent needed to achieve a desired concentration.

4. How do I handle significant figures when performing dilution calculations?

When performing dilution calculations, it is important to follow the rules for significant figures. The final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement used in the calculation. This means that if one of the volumes used in the dilution has 2 significant figures, the final answer should also have 2 significant figures.

5. Can dilution problems be applied to any type of solution?

Yes, dilution problems can be applied to any type of solution, including solids, liquids, and gases. As long as the concentration and volume of the initial solution are known, the dilution equation can be used to calculate the appropriate volumes needed to achieve the desired concentration.