Practical question- anyone w. experience w. BBO crystals?

In summary, the issue being discussed is the difficulty of achieving strong second harmonic generation (SHG) output without severe spatial distortion of the pulse shape when inserting a BBO into the optical path of a TiSaph fs laser. The output shape is usually circular, but when trying to optimize the SHG signal, a second line-shaped component is introduced that is much more intense and results in the crystal being at an angled position. This problem has been observed with two separate crystals on two different laser systems and is not affected by moving the crystal surface laterally. The cause of this problem is still uncertain, but it is suspected to be related to enhanced SHG off a surface defect.
slap babies
hi all-

having a strange (perhaps expected?) problem inserting a BBO into the optical path of a TiSaph fs laser.

the issue is that i can achieve strong SHG output, but only with *severe* spatial distortion of the pulse shape.

has anyone had experience/encountered this issue in an optics lab? if so i can go into more details.

tia

slaps

Physics news on Phys.org
I've used BBO with Ti-Sapphire, and I've used cameras to characterize pulse shape. But I haven't specifically seen the wave front of a TiSaph pulse that went through a BBO.

Interested in the problem and more details though. I might have time to look it up.

well, i suspect its less of a 'physicsy' problem than one might hope.

generally, when things are working well the output SHG more or less matches the input pulse shape with some extra chirp and/or dispersion which can often be disregarded.

in our case, we see this 'good' output shape, but as you try and optimize the SHG signal, a second component is introduced which is 1-2 orders of magnitude more intense and is distorted into the shape of a line. thus, you have a circular input and a line output. moreover, if you proceed to optimize the output of this line-shaped SHG output, the crystal ends up at an extremely cockeyed angle.

to make matters worse, its happening w/ two separate crystals on two separate laser systems. in the past (two years) i don't recall this problem. I'm curious if there may be enhanced SHG off a surface defect, but the problem persists even if you move the crystal surface laterally.

Related to Practical question- anyone w. experience w. BBO crystals?

1. What are BBO crystals and what are they used for?

BBO crystals, also known as beta-barium borate crystals, are nonlinear optical crystals that are commonly used in various scientific and industrial applications. They are used for frequency conversion, wave mixing, and electro-optic modulation in laser systems, as well as in optical parametric amplifiers and generators.

2. How are BBO crystals grown?

BBO crystals are usually grown using the Czochralski method, which involves melting the raw materials in a crucible and slowly pulling a seed crystal out of the molten material. This results in a single crystal with a specific orientation and desired properties.

3. What factors can affect the performance of BBO crystals?

The performance of BBO crystals can be affected by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and the quality of the crystal itself. Other factors like the alignment of the crystal with the incident light and the type of laser used can also impact its performance.

4. What are the advantages of using BBO crystals compared to other nonlinear optical crystals?

BBO crystals have a wide transparency range, high damage threshold, and a large effective nonlinear coefficient, making them ideal for high power and high energy applications. They also have a low absorption coefficient and high resistance to photorefractive damage, making them more durable and long-lasting compared to other crystals.

5. How can I optimize the performance of BBO crystals in my experiments?

To optimize the performance of BBO crystals, it is important to carefully control the temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors. Proper alignment with the incident light and using a high-quality laser source can also greatly improve the crystal's performance. It is also recommended to use a crystal with the appropriate size and orientation for the specific application.