Practical Application of Capacitors

In summary: Just remember a battery doesn't store a voltage. It generates a voltage by a chemical reaction. So when a battery is "flat" it means that the chemical reaction is no longer occurring.
mearvk
I was thinking that a car battery is a 12v source that delivers between 300 and 900 cold cranking camps. That'd put the cranking wattage at between 3600 watts and 10,800, right?

Here's a car battery 'helper': http://goo.gl/Roo2l

This is hypothetical at this point but what I was wondering was since a car only pulls the 3600 to 10,800 watts for about 2 or 3 seconds, would it be possible to safely use a capacitor based system to deliver this power instead of the chemical battery?

I know, I know, be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
yes possibly, but what are you going to use to charge the capacitor ?
the car battery ? the booster thing you linked to which appears to probably have its own battery inside it ?

so you are going to complicate things by having some battery charge a capacitor for engine starting, instead of just starting the engine direct from the battery ?

Dave

davenn said:
yes possibly, but what are you going to use to charge the capacitor ?
the car battery ? the booster thing you linked to which appears to probably have its own battery inside it ?

so you are going to complicate things by having some battery charge a capacitor for engine starting, instead of just starting the engine direct from the battery ?

Dave

At this point it's a theoretical exercise. Yes I agree it would be weird to have a way to charge the capacitors but not start the engine itself. You'd need a secondary generator somewhere. Which brings me to another question, how long do capacitors typically hold their charge?

Sort of related.

When a car battery dies is it the voltage that goes or the amperage or both?

Since we are taught to hook the jumper cables up in parallel I assume it's the amperage that is lost when the battery is drained. Can you guys chime in on this?

mearvk said:
... Which brings me to another question, how long do capacitors typically hold their charge?

That would depend on the capacitor type and manufacturing. It ( a large value one) would still hold a charge after some days or so probably. It would slowly leak across the dielectric.

Dave

mearvk said:
Sort of related.

When a car battery dies is it the voltage that goes or the amperage or both?

Since we are taught to hook the jumper cables up in parallel I assume it's the amperage that is lost when the battery is drained. Can you guys chime in on this?

well you could say both. but principally its the voltage that goes. measure a good battery and the same type of flat battery what will you see ? ... the flat one has very little voltage

Thats a simplified way of looking at it without going into how the battery ( whatever type) produces a voltage for a start ... google will give lots of answers there :)

Just remember a battery doesn't store a voltage. It generates a voltage by a chemical reaction
So when a battery is "flat" it means that the chemical reaction is no longer occurring

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Related to Practical Application of Capacitors

1. What is the purpose of using capacitors in practical applications?

Capacitors are used in practical applications to store and release electrical energy. They can act as temporary power sources, voltage stabilizers, and noise filters.

2. How do capacitors work?

Capacitors consist of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This electric field stores energy in the form of an electrostatic charge.

3. What types of capacitors are commonly used in practical applications?

The most commonly used capacitors in practical applications are ceramic, electrolytic, film, and tantalum capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suitable for different applications.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a capacitor for a practical application?

The capacitance, voltage rating, temperature range, and frequency range are important factors to consider when selecting a capacitor for a practical application. The type of dielectric material, size, and cost are also factors that should be taken into account.

5. Can capacitors be used in high voltage applications?

Yes, capacitors can be used in high voltage applications. However, it is important to choose a capacitor with a voltage rating that exceeds the maximum voltage of the circuit. It is also necessary to consider the insulation resistance and safety precautions to prevent damage or harm.