Poynting vector. Conservation theorem.

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating electric and magnetic fields, with B=0 resulting in S=0 and E^2 as the energy density. The conservation theorem is also mentioned, with the significance of being "out of the particle's trayectory" explained as assuming no charges in the volume being verified. The speaker concludes that their expressions for the fields may not be correct and thanks the listener for their help.
lailola
I'm doing a problem where I have to calculate the electric and magnetic fields. I've found B=0, so S=ExB=0. Has it got any meaning?

Then I calculate the energy density e=E^2 + B^2 = E^2. And finally I have to verify the conservation theorem grad(S)+de/dt=0 for points out of the particle's trayectory. I do this part but the conservation theorem is not satisfied. What is the significance of "out of the particle's trayectory"? Or maybe I've got wrong expressions for E and B...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has it got any meaning?
Your field is static and does not transfer energy.

What is the significance of "out of the particle's trayectory"?
You can assume that there are no charges in the (infinitesimal) volume where you verify the relation.

mfb said:
Your field is static and does not transfer energy.

You can assume that there are no charges in the (infinitesimal) volume where you verify the relation.

So, when I do the time derivative of the energy density it must be zero. Then, I think I haven't got the correct expressions for the fields.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Related to Poynting vector. Conservation theorem.

What is the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector, represented by the symbol S, is a mathematical quantity used in electromagnetism to describe the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow.

What is the significance of the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is significant because it helps us understand the flow of energy in electromagnetic waves, which is crucial in many applications such as wireless communication and power transmission.

How is the Poynting vector calculated?

The Poynting vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a given point in space. It is also dependent on the permittivity and permeability of the medium in which the electromagnetic wave is propagating.

What is the conservation theorem associated with the Poynting vector?

The conservation theorem associated with the Poynting vector states that the total electromagnetic energy in a closed system remains constant, meaning that energy is neither created nor destroyed but only transformed between electric and magnetic fields.

How is the conservation theorem related to the Poynting vector?

The conservation theorem is related to the Poynting vector because the Poynting vector represents the flow of energy in electromagnetic waves, and the conservation theorem ensures that this energy remains constant in a closed system.