Powerset of the union of a set

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Union
In summary: Firstly, we need to show that $Aeq\mathcal{P}(B)$, which means we need to show that there exists a set $C \subseteq A$, such that $xeqy$ for all $z \in C$.Secondly, we need to show that $xeqy$ for all $z \in C$, which means we need to show that $zeqx$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

I want to prove that for each set $A$:
$$A \subset \mathcal P \cup A$$

According to my notes, we prove it like that:

Let $x \in A$. We want to show that $x \in \mathcal P \cup A$, so, that: $\exists y \in \mathcal P \cup A$, such that $x=y$.
It suffices to show that if $z \in x$, then $z \in \cup A$, that stands, since $x \in A$.

Could you explain me why we want to show that :
$$\exists y \in \mathcal P \cup A, \text{ so that } x=y$$
?
At the beginning, we suppose that $x \in A$ and we want to prove that $x \in \mathcal P \cup A$, so we want to prove that $x \subset \cup A$.
I haven't understood what we could do to prove this.. (Worried)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
I want to prove that for each set $A$:
$$A \subset \mathcal P \cup A$$
Do you mean $\mathcal{P}\left(\bigcup A\right)$? In LaTeX, \cup is a binary operator, while \bigcup is a prefix unary operator.

evinda said:
Could you explain me why we want to show that :
$$\exists y \in \mathcal P \cup A, \text{ so that } x=y$$?
This statement is equivalent to $x\in\mathcal P( \bigcup A)$, and I don't see how it simplifies it.

evinda said:
At the beginning, we suppose that $x \in A$ and we want to prove that $x \in \mathcal P \cup A$, so we want to prove that $x \subset \cup A$.
Yes. The latter statement means $\forall z\;z\in x\to z\in\bigcup A$. But this follows from the definition of $\bigcup A$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Do you mean $\mathcal{P}\left(\bigcup A\right)$? In LaTeX, \cup is a binary operator, while \bigcup is a prefix unary operator.

Yes, that's what I meant. I will take it into consideration! (Smile)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes. The latter statement means $\forall z\;z\in x\to z\in\bigcup A$. But this follows from the definition of $\bigcup A$.

A ok! I got it! (Nod)

And does the equality $A= \mathcal{P}\left(\bigcup A\right) $ also stand? (Thinking)

evinda said:
And does the equality $A= \mathcal{P}\left(\bigcup A\right) $ also stand?
No. For example, when $A=\{\{1,2\},\{3,4\}\}$, then $\bigcup A=\{1,2,3,4\}$ and $\mathcal{P}(\bigcup A)$ contains all 16 subsets of $\{1,2,3,4\}$. Of those 16, $A$ contains only two.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
No. For example, when $A=\{\{1,2\},\{3,4\}\}$, then $\bigcup A=\{1,2,3,4\}$ and $\mathcal{P}(\bigcup A)$ contains all 16 subsets of $\{1,2,3,4\}$. Of those 16, $A$ contains only two.

I understand! (Nod) Does the equality never hold or are there cases, where it stands that $A=\mathcal{P}(\bigcup A)$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Does the equality never hold or are there cases, where it stands that $A=\mathcal{P}(\bigcup A)$ ?
This happens iff $A=\mathcal{P}(B)$ for some $B$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This happens iff $A=\mathcal{P}(B)$ for some $B$.

How did you conclude that it happens iff $A=\mathcal{P}(B)$ for some $B$?

And how could we prove this? (Thinking)

Related to Powerset of the union of a set

1. What is the Powerset of the Union of a Set?

The Powerset of the Union of a Set is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all subsets that can be formed by combining elements from two or more sets. It is denoted as P(A ∪ B) and is also known as the Union of the Power sets.

2. How is the Powerset of the Union of a Set calculated?

The Powerset of the Union of a Set is calculated by first finding the union of two or more sets, which is the set of all elements that appear in at least one of the sets. Then, all possible subsets are formed from this union set, including the empty set and the set itself. This results in the Powerset of the Union of the Set.

3. What is the difference between the Powerset of the Union of a Set and the Union of Power sets?

While the Powerset of the Union of a Set refers to the set of all subsets that can be formed from the union of two or more sets, the Union of Power sets refers to the union of the subsets of two or more sets. In other words, the Powerset of the Union of a Set contains all possible combinations of elements from the sets, while the Union of Power sets contains only the elements that are present in at least one of the subsets.

4. How can the Powerset of the Union of a Set be used in real life?

The concept of the Powerset of the Union of a Set has various applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and decision-making. For example, in computer science, it is used to represent all possible combinations of data, while in statistics, it is used to analyze data with multiple variables. In decision-making, the Powerset of the Union of a Set can help determine all possible outcomes of a given situation.

5. Is the Powerset of the Union of a Set always larger than the original sets?

Not necessarily. The size of the Powerset of the Union of a Set depends on the number of elements and the relationship between the original sets. In some cases, the Powerset of the Union of a Set may be smaller than the original sets, such as when there are duplicate elements or when one set is a subset of the other. However, in most cases, the Powerset of the Union of a Set will have a larger size than the original sets.